    I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in such a
    dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case, howcome
    the people moving are not blurred??

    Craig, Jan 22, 2005

  2. Craig

    AstroPax Guest

    The plane is light-colored, almost white, so it reflects a lot of
    light.

    I think the photog just metered off of the aircraft and didn't worry
    about anything else. The aircraft is so reflective, and because it
    was probably all lite-up for the event, a slow shutter speed was not
    necessarily needed, so because of that, the people and ceiling are
    dark and in the shadows.

    Why don't you send the photographer (Michael Eggenschwiler) an email
    and ask him for the specifics? A point of contact is listed on the
    referenced page.

    -Astro

    AstroPax, Jan 22, 2005

  3. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Thanks for that. Fired off a question to the man.

    PS: Your site has some pretty good ones!

    Craig, Jan 22, 2005
  4. Craig

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I suspect the environment was actually very well lit.

    Mxsmanic, Jan 22, 2005
  5. Craig

    Jay Beckman Guest

    As it was lit for TV, still shooters should have had no problems getting
    shots.

    Jay Beckman, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Craig

    RSD99 Guest

    The photographer (who was/is a professional) used a view camera (4" x 5"
    .... or maybe even 8" x 10" ... using sheet film), and employed "swings and
    tilts" to correct the focus. The picture was also taken with a high quality
    lens (such as one of the high end Schneider Symmars) and a small aperture.

    Piece of cake ... using the correct equipment.

    RSD99, Jan 22, 2005
  7. Craig

    Mxsmanic Guest

    It was taken with an inexpensive digital camera, judging by the purple
    fringing around light sources.

    Mxsmanic, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Craig

    Stu Dapples Guest

    That's oversharpened - look at the white halos.

    Stu Dapples, Jan 23, 2005
  9. Craig

    Crownfield Guest

    look at the sharpening on 'airbus'.
    talk about a tad excessive...

    Crownfield, Jan 23, 2005
  10. Craig

    Musty Guest

    That by the way tends to under-expose an image. Metering off a very
    reflective object tells the camera meter there is more light than actually
    required. On the opposite end, a black object (high light absorption) leads
    to over-exposed images since the black fooled the camera into thinking there
    is less light.

    But, back to the OP's question. If you look at the image, there is nothing
    surprising here:

    1) The plane is lit reasonably well by lighting in the building
    2) The people (who you are surprised are not blurred), are horribly
    under-exposed (possibly due to metering off the reflective while plane).
    This is ok since the shooter wants to make note of the plane and not the
    people. I would not call this "incorrect" exposure.

    Also notice the CA around the spot lights (should have been fixed in PS).

    Now, had the people been exposed such that they are visible AND they were
    not blurry, there are explanations such as the use of a neutral density
    filter (or graduated ND). A graduated ND filter could have made the peolple
    visible and the plane correctly exposed.

    Thanks
    Musty.

    Musty, Jan 23, 2005
  11. Craig

    AstroPax Guest

    I agree. It's a nice photo, but not exactly earth-shattering, IMO.

    -Astro

    AstroPax, Jan 23, 2005
  12. I would imagine a combination of multiple strobe lights in the rafters and
    probably some amount of photoshop type editing. I vaguelly recall reading an
    article in the National Geographic magazine when I was getting my snow tires
    removed in spring, where they had an article on some plane (B2? I don't
    remember), and they had a sidebar about the photographer and how he set it up,
    and the answer was lots of strobes.

    Michael Meissner, Jan 23, 2005
  13. Craig

    IMKen Guest

    The hanger may be a little dark but that plane is well lit.
    Ken

    IMKen, Jan 23, 2005
  14. Craig

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Nothing was set up here. It was just a snapshot.

    Mxsmanic, Jan 23, 2005
  15. Craig

    Crownfield Guest

    and how do you know this?

    perhps 'unsubstantiated opinion' fits better?

    Crownfield, Jan 23, 2005
  16. Craig

    Jose Guest

    Do you know this for a fact or just guessing?

    The lights in the rafters certainly look like a digital shot to me.

    Jose, Jan 23, 2005
  17. Craig

    Musty Guest

    You meant, piece of sh*t, right?

    If thats what a full-frame camera comes up with, then I'll stay digital I
    think.

    Seriously, you are kidding right? That shot was taken with a cheap digital
    P&S camera. Just look at the purple fringing (CA) on the lights.

    Musty, Jan 23, 2005
  18. Craig

    zeitgeist Guest

    excessive sharpening probably happened when they reduced the image for web
    page viewing. There is usually a big difference when you reduce an image
    from megapixels to kilopixels, I give them a sharpening filter to make the
    image pull together and don't worry about fine details like that, cause
    there aren't any.

    zeitgeist, Jan 23, 2005
  19. Craig

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The fact that the plane is painted white certainly helps. LOTS of light
    on it!

    Ron Hunter, Jan 23, 2005
  20. Craig

    Matt Ion Guest