    email address.
    Thank you,
    Cassie.

    Cassie, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Cassie

    Yddap Guest

    Same as I found your addy cassieathunterlink.com
    from your message headers

    Yddap, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Cassie

    richard Guest

    From the tools menu click on Accounts. Double click the proper account for
    this newsserver.
    Under the servers tab you'll find your addy politely displayed.
    Change it. Try something .
    Do not use any obvious thing in place of (url) like com, net, org, and the
    like.

    To look at the "headers" highlight any message then press ctrl+F3.
    This is the information needed for computers to talk to each other via the
    system networks.

    Some newsreaders display the headers without having to do anything.

    Welcome to usenet.

    richard, Sep 28, 2006
  4. Cassie

    Cassie Guest

    That is not valid, the person sent to my valid which is nothing like this
    one that's why I am baffled, I looked in file and properties but am
    wondering can it be done via an IP address?
    Cassie

    Cassie, Sep 28, 2006
  5. Cassie

    Yddap Guest

    In
    If the above address is not valid there is no way to get an Email address
    from an IP ( AFAIK)

    Someone is having you on

    unless you put your valid Email address in the body of your post or the Sig
    :-(

    Yddap, Sep 28, 2006
  6. Cassie

    Cassie Guest

    Hmmmm!! yes, I do that, with tools accounts etc., and my munged addy is
    there, not my valid one. I didn't put my valid one in the body of the email.
    I'm stumped but just in case will change the .com to what you suggested
    @example.url or something like that. Many thanks for your help, I hate
    mysteries like this
    Cassie.

    Cassie, Sep 28, 2006
  7. Cassie

    Kev Guest

    No, there is no direct relationship between an IP and an email address.
    An IP *could* be tracked to a *possible* domain (ie 'example.com') in
    certain circumstances, but this very unlikely, and it certainly couldn't
    be tracked to user '[email protected]', except by your ISP.

    The only way I think the two could be tied together by someone is if you
    have a static IP address, and have posted using your real email address
    from that IP previously?

    Kev

    Kev, Sep 28, 2006
  8. Cassie

    Cassie Guest

    Thanks Kev, I don't have a static IP address and have never used my current
    email address in a newsgroup so it's still a mystery.
    Cassie.

    Cassie, Sep 28, 2006
  9. Cassie

    Mike Easter Guest

    Are you talking about your bigpond.com address with the 10 letter
    username?

    Mike Easter, Sep 28, 2006
  10. Cassie

    Cassie Guest

    Hi' Mike,
    My bigpond user name doesn't have 10 letters, but where did you see that?.
    Cassie

    Cassie, Sep 28, 2006
  11. Cassie

    Mike Easter Guest

    It was an old one from 2004. I also see another old 2004 one which
    doesn't have a mailbox anymore which is a 3 letter username at ezweb.com

    Different handle, too, with a 'J'

    Definitely your handwriting.

    Mike Easter, Sep 28, 2006
  12. Cassie

    Cassie Guest

    Cassie.

    Cassie, Sep 28, 2006
  13. Better to use the word 'invalid' instead. Respectable mail servers will
    not try to forward to a TLD such as this.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 28, 2006
  14. Cassie

    Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Thu, 28 Sep
    2006 06:37:49 GMT, and who should I see posting but "Cassie"
    <>! I could scarely believe "Cassie"

    Frosty, Sep 28, 2006
  15. Cassie

    soup Guest

    She has already said the addy is not valid.

    soup, Sep 28, 2006
  16. Cassie

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Think nothing of it. Someone did the same thing to me even though I
    always use a false address in newsgroups. They complained to my ISP
    that I constantly cross-post to many different newsgroups, which I
    have not and do not do. That was enough for my ISP to send me a
    warning letter. I pretty much know who it was. It was a person who
    doesn't like my political views and does not think I should have the
    right to post even a hint of them in my sigline.

    I contacted my ISP's abuse department and they could not account for
    it. They said a lot of times those warning emails are automatically
    generated and I shouldn't worry about it. If they threaten to close
    your account who wouldn't be concerned?

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Sep 28, 2006
  17. Cassie

    thanatoid Guest

    It appears no one has been able to tell you how this happened. I
    don't know for sure, but I have a feeling if you didn't use
    IE/OE for email and Usenet, it would not have happened.

    thanatoid, Sep 28, 2006
  18. Cassie

    Whiskers Guest

    That's debateable; hunterlink.com is a valid registered domain name. It
    may not belong to Cassie, but if not then someone is not going to be happy
    about her using it.

    Whiskers, Sep 28, 2006
  19. Cassie

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    I have never used IE/OE and the person tracked me down anyway.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Sep 28, 2006
  20. Cassie

    Whiskers Guest

    From where? Email messages cannot be sent 'from a newsgroup'.

    If you copy/paste all the 'headers' here someone may be able to tell you
    where the email actually came from.
    Perhaps someone found your current 'real' email address somewhere else -
    eg from an old newsgroup article archived by Google, or from a web forum
    where you've registered using it?

    Are you sure the email isn't just spam which reached your inbox by using
    an 'alphabet attack' - ie a bot guesses possible addresses?

    If you aren't the owner of the registered domain name 'hunterlink.com' or
    don't have the owner's permission, then you shouldn't use it.

    Whiskers, Sep 28, 2006