How did I get this mail.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by turtill, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. turtill

    turtill Guest

    Apparently the number 127.0.0.1 signifies I sent it to myself???? I
    didn't and mailwasher wouldn't allow me to bounce it back either. It
    does have an actual message ID that works but how did I get it as an
    e-mail?
    pete

    On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:01:01 GMT, Mark Horton

    Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 17:34:59 +0100
    From: Mark Horton <>
    Newsgroups: uk.people.disability
    Subject: Re: This is why Turtill is being a bitch

    Please do NOT mail me again.
    pete

    turtill, Sep 8, 2006

  2. turtill

    dadiOH Guest

    It indicates that avast! checks your mail.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Sep 8, 2006

  3. turtill

    turtill Guest

    I had Avast once but I removed it months ago???
    pete

    turtill, Sep 8, 2006
  4. turtill

    Whiskers Guest

    No it doesn't. The email software running on whichever computer was used
    to send the email, is badly configured - but it looks as though the real
    public IP number of that machine at that moment was 86.16.41.14 which
    belongs to NTL.
    Someone (not necessarily the person whose name appears in the From header,
    which is easy to fake) sent it to your Hotmail address, from a computer
    using an NTL internet connection (not necessarily with the permission or
    knowledge of the authorised user of that machine, if it has been
    compromised).

    Whiskers, Sep 8, 2006
  5. Well, that's one good thing.

    Stop doing that, the bouncing of emails. All you are doing is annoying
    the people (other spam victims) whose address was forged in the FROM
    field. You are *NOT* bouncing it to the spammer, whose personal email
    address is nowhere in any spam he sends.

    Mailwasher should be banned from having this feature.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 8, 2006
  6. turtill

    turtill Guest

    Thank you for putting me out of my misery. I thought I might have had
    a key logger or some other kind of nasty on my box. Cheers.
    pete

    turtill, Sep 8, 2006
  7. turtill

    turtill Guest

    I never use it normally but as this was from a poster who has been
    having a dig I thought I would. I agree with what you say about
    bouncing spam. I just leave mine in mailwasher and it disposes of it.
    pete

    turtill, Sep 8, 2006