How delete protected XP registry entry?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Will, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    Am running XP Pro. I have administrator rights.

    I installed a utility (PC Mag's Context Edit). When I try to run
    that utility I get a message saying says the program cannot access a
    certain registry key:

    Could not obtain KEY_QUERY_VALUE access to
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\??a???_auto_file

    When I look for this key in the registry I can find it but it is
    protected.

    What can I do?

    Reinstalling the utility does not help.

    (1) Maybe I can delete the protected key so I can do another re-
    install and hopefully a non-protected key will be created.

    (2) Or maybe I should somehow give the program access to the
    protected key?

    Will, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Will

    Donnie Guest

    #########################
    Before you try those things, look at any .ini files that the program may
    have created. A corrupted .ini file could be causing that error. I had
    something like that happen w/ some proprietary mortgage software. For some
    reason, white spaces in any other part of the ini file except before a
    bracketed heading would cause an exception. Something similar may be
    happening to you. Also look for any references to that key.
    donnie

    Donnie, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Will

    nemo_outis Guest

    There are a number of possible explanations. One tool that may help with
    one particular type of problem is RegDelNull, available (along with many
    other excellent tools) from sysinternals:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RegDelNull.html

    Incidentally, the best registry editor by far is Resplendent Registrar,
    available from:

    http://www.resplendence.com/main

    Sadly, it's not free, but it's well worth the money.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Will

    traveler 66 Guest

    Good info nemo, I had no idea they were available, thanks as well.

    traveler 66, Dec 9, 2005