    Any help much appriciate.

    Al

    ps: This is a vista home premium system

    ~hp-hdx~, Apr 4, 2010

  2. ~hp-hdx~

    Lem Guest

    You could start by reading the User Guide that came with your router.

    Failing that, identify the model of your router, so somebody can read
    the manual for you.

    For Linksys routers in general, the username/password for access to the
    router's web configuration utility is on the "Setup" tab at "Basic
    Setup" and the SSID name is on the "Wireless" tab at "Basic Wireless
    Settings."

    Lem, Apr 4, 2010

  3. ~hp-hdx~

    ~hp-hdx~ Guest

    Thanks Len for taking the time to reply.
    I did read the manual and did locate the wifi tab, and setup tabs, but
    was unable to see how to change the user name or ssid. I will try again
    tomorrow. Sorry for failing to identify the router, its a
    cisco/linksys WRT54G2.
    By the way, in the past I set up this router manually, instead of using
    the software that came with it, and had no trouble setting my own
    user name, password, and SSID. If I can't see how to change them,
    I guess I'll just reset it and do it manually.
    Al

    ~hp-hdx~, Apr 5, 2010
  4. ~hp-hdx~

    Lem Guest

    As you learned in the past, there is no need to use the s/w "wizard" to
    configure the router. It's easy to do manually. By the same token,
    there's no need to reset things in order to do manual setup. Be aware
    that if you reset the router, either from the configuration utility or
    by using the reset button, you will reset *all* of the router's
    settings, including any settings you made to enable the router to
    connect to your ISP.

    There are 3 different versions of the WRT54G2 and the manuals differ
    slightly.

    A. Change the username/password for access to the router's setup
    configuration
    1. This is explained at pages 19-20 of the User Guide (it's also
    explained on page 4, but without as much detail). Access the router's
    web configuration utility by entering the password that you set in the
    initial setup. Leave the username blank (my experience with Linksys
    routers is that you can enter anything in the username field; the router
    ignores it).
    2. Click on the "Administration" tab.
    3. If the "Management" sub-screen isn't already showing (it should be),
    click on "Management".
    4. The box to enter a new router access password is the very first item
    at the top of the screen. Enter a new password. Enter the same
    password in the box below to confirm.
    5. There is no place to change the "username" for router access. The
    router does not use "username" (see above).
    6. Click "Save Settings" at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.

    B. Wireless network SSID
    1. This is explained at page 10 of the User Guide. While you are in the
    router's configuration utility, click the "Wireless" tab.
    2. Select "Manual." Proceed to the "Basic Wireless Settings" section.
    3. Enter the network name where it says "Wireless Network Name (SSID)."
    4. At this same screen, you can also set the wireless mode (G-only,
    B-only, or Mixed), and set the wireless channel. In general, use
    channel 1, 6, 11 (depending on what your neighbors use).
    5. Do NOT select the button to "Disable SSID Broadcast."
    6. Click "Save Settings" at the bottom of the screen.

    Lem, Apr 5, 2010