    Please, let me know what else should I check and how should I go about it?

    thanks
    jim

    qwertmonkey, Aug 1, 2012

  2. On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 19:14:57 +0000 (UTC),

    I had similar problems with an ISP. The problem was the cables and
    routers were older, and I was at the maximum distance from the router
    box to get connected.

    The problems magnified w/e there was a major weather change: rain and
    mosisture; heat spells; that sort of stuff.

    When I couldn't get a proper respectful response to my complaints of
    poor connectivity and continually being dropped, I raised Hell and
    talked to a supervisor.

    Eventually, they had to upgrade the lines to and into my home, upgrade
    lines to and from their router boxes. Most important was the fact that
    they started listening to my descriptions of problems, documented w/e
    information I could give, and tested the lines routinely.

    I don't accept patronizing responses very well as I have been working
    and playing with computers longer than most of the service techs have
    been born.

    LOL.

    Hope this helps with their attitude adjustment.

    If that doesn't work, change providers. There are too many options to
    putting up with crap service.

    Respectfully,

    MJR

    TheGunslinger, Aug 2, 2012

  3. qwertmonkey

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    Whatever "get through" and "kicked off" means ...
    Well, there are plenty of layers of complexity between the point
    where the phone work and where you have a useful link-layer for IP
    stuff. Negotiations take place, until you have a decent link.

    The ISP can monitor the health of that. But you are limited to looking
    at the LEDs on the "modem".

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Aug 2, 2012
  4. qwertmonkey

    jeff Guest

    First what kind of connection is it, DSL, cable, or something else? That
    will determine the answers because it makes a big difference. If it is
    DSL it takes a lot lower quality of connection to make a voice
    connection than it takes for a data connection. That would indicate that
    you have low signal levels on your line and when data goes through the
    modem fills up with errors and drops the connection. If it is cable that
    is slightly more complicated because telephone over cable network will
    be VoIP which means it uses the data connection just like the internet,
    it also matters if it is DOCSIS 3 versus DOCSIS 2. For the most part on
    cable the problem will most likely be the same as on DSL, low signal
    levels means your modem cannot get a good enough connection and the
    voice gets higher priority so eventually the modem will get errors and
    shut off the connection.

    In either case your ISP is able to look at your connection and see the
    number of errors and restarts on your modem which will tell them that
    you do have a connection problem. The problem that you are running into
    is that most people who work for the ISPs as level 1 support generally
    do not know what those numbers mean and ignore them, and if the see that
    their system shows the modem is online then they assume the connection
    is working. The only way I know of to fix this is to work your way up
    the tech support tree, try asking to speak with supervisor, or level 2
    tech and work your way up until someone agrees that there is an issue
    and sends out a tech to replace the lines, or to add an amplifier to the
    lines.

    As a side note most ISPs will send a tech to your house if you
    specifically request it but they will warn you that if the tech does not
    see a problem or if the tech finds that it is a problem with your
    equipment there would be a charge involved. From your description I
    would say that it is on the ISP's side and therefore you would not need
    to worry about the possible charge.

    Also if you are using cable internet you might have a bad splitter (I
    still have no idea how such a simple device could go bad but I have seen
    it too many times to say that it does not happen). You can easily buy a
    new splitter and replace it yourself, it also would not be a bad idea to
    replace the lines between the connection on the wall and your modem. All
    of that is easy and cheap to do and might fix the problem, but if you
    get the ISP to send a tech to your house that is probably the first
    thing that they would do to try to fix it.

    jeff, Aug 11, 2012
  5. qwertmonkey

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    He didn't respond to my requests for more information ten days ago, so
    he's probably not going to do it now either ...
    Yes. With my DSL line, a few years back, the ISP's people were able to
    remotely tune the settings more or less live when I had problems -- as
    I understood it, trading in speed for reliability on a noisy link. It
    seemed they had pretty good tools for doing this ...

    [snip]

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Aug 11, 2012