How can I truncate all file names in a folder to 64 characters?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. Win XP Pro SP2.

    I have Long Filename Finder so I know I have some files too long
    to burn to a Joliet CD-R using Roxio Easy Media Creator 8. It
    will automatically truncate the file names longer than the 64
    character limit imposed by Joliet, but one of my folders
    consistently causes Roxio to hang, because the 1st 64 characters
    are all the same.

    Presumably, Roxio should be able to cut back to 60, then add a
    numeric suffix but it fails.

    So, is there an easy way to *force* the truncation of specified
    files within a folder to any set number, other than using Win
    XP's bulk re-name facility? If that's the best, I'll try that.

    Thanks.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    "You’re gonna get your mind right"
    "This the way he wants it, well, he gets it"
    "What we got here is failure to communicate"

    The Cap'n to Lucas "Luke" Jackson in "Cool Hand Luke"

    All Things Mopar, Nov 9, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In All Things Mopar spewed forth:
    What kind of files are they? I find my MP3 files often have that problem,
    with the first part being artist, then the next the album, etc. I don't mind
    dropping all of that, since that information is 1) encoded in the MP3, and
    2) duplicated in my folder structure

    When I need to mass-rename my MP3 files, I use MusicMatch. The program has
    the ability to load all the files and rename them based on my choice of
    track number, artist, album, etc. So if I need short ones, I leave the track
    number (keeps them in order) and the song name.

    I think IrfanView will do the same kind of batch renaming for photos.

    If you're not working with MP3 or photo files, I don't have any suggestions
    for you at this time, but I bet there's some nifty utilities on the web -
    search Google for file managers.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 10, 2005

  3. All Things Mopar

    Chris R-J Guest

    For MP3's I use Mp3 Collector From www.collectorz.com it's free with a
    better version if you pay
    Chris

    Chris R-J, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Today Toolman Tim spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:
    They are just "files". Mostly JPEGs, some BMP, some TIFF, some
    GIF, some TXT. Just "files". All I want to be able to do is
    mass truncate them to a given number of characters to the
    *left* of the extension, say 64.

    Thanks.

    All Things Mopar, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Today Chris R-J spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:
    I said nothing about MP3s. I just said "files". They are all
    graphics types like JPEG.

    The question is a general one, not just specific to music. So,
    all I'm looking for a an easy way or maybe a utility that will
    mass truncate all files in all of a given set of folders to a
    given length before the extension, say 64.

    Thank you.

    All Things Mopar, Nov 10, 2005
  6. All Things Mopar

    dadiOH Guest

    Numerous file renamers will do that easily. One such is Magic File
    Renamer but I don't know if it will run on XP. Home page is
    http://www.finebytes.com but seems to be down. I'm sure Google will
    give you info/download links for it.

    Another alternative is to go get a more flexible burning program...many
    will allow up to 207 characters in a file name.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Nov 10, 2005
  7. Today dadiOH spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:
    I have a program that will burn with UDF 102 but I am trying to
    debug Win XP Pro SP2 crashes with UDF CD-Rs, hence I want to try
    Joliet on the same files, but Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 hangs
    during the truncation process.

    All Things Mopar, Nov 10, 2005
  8. All Things Mopar

    old man Guest

    Rename;
    www.1-4a.com/rename/

    old man, Nov 10, 2005
  9. All Things Mopar

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In old man spewed forth:
    There ya go - looks like it should do the trick! I think I'll get a copy of
    that for myself. Thanks, Old Man!

    Toolman Tim, Nov 10, 2005