    been asked to stop) is using fake accounts to communicate with me on
    msn ...

    Greg

    gregheinrich, Oct 23, 2005

  2. gregheinrich

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Lets see;
    You downloaded a file that you dont know what it was or where it came from?

    MrGrumpy, Oct 23, 2005

  3. gregheinrich

    Taylor Guest

    Off course there bloody isn't, you can get the IP address at the time of the
    transfer, but not after. Don't accept transfers if you don't know where it's
    from.

    Taylor, Oct 23, 2005
  4. gregheinrich

    Mike Easter Guest

    I read that msn messenger can keep a history file if configured; but it
    looks to me like that history file doesn't include the IP address.
    During the time that you are hooked up, you could use netstat or such to
    get the IP of the hookup, but it looks like there is no historical
    information of that IP in messenger which I don't use. You could also
    have some kind of WallWatching router logger going on all the time, but
    somehow I doubt that you do that.
    It sounds like you have pretty loose behavior online.

    Mike Easter, Oct 23, 2005
  5. gregheinrich

    gregheinrich Guest

    Thankyou to all you people for your replies. (Good to see the art of
    trolling hasn't been lost in this newsgroup too by the way - "loose
    behavior online" LOL).
    Like a lot of people, I make friends online, and occasionally run
    intopeople aren't who they say they are...

    I managed to talk to this person in msn and traced their ip thru
    netstat (in DOS) during another file transfer. The IP address
    corresponds with emails from the guy who's been harassing me.

    *sigh* I guess restraining orders will have to become a way of life for
    me....

    Anyhow, thankyou again for your prompt, and helpful, replies. People
    in most newsgroups would be a lot less helpful towards a newcomer :)

    Greg

    gregheinrich, Oct 23, 2005
  6. gregheinrich

    gregheinrich Guest

    Oh, I knew what it was - it was a picture of a guy i met on msn, and I
    thought i trusted him at the time.

    But feel free to ridicule away - i am impervious ;-)

    Greg

    gregheinrich, Oct 23, 2005
  7. gregheinrich

    Mitch Guest

    That's funny.
    I supposed it contains really useful information instead, like what
    time it launched and what time it was closed.

    Mitch, Oct 23, 2005
  8. gregheinrich

    Mike Easter Guest

    You should consult a dictionary to understand what's 'trolling' or
    trolls and including trollbait and what's 'barbs' or criticisms or even
    flames.

    My 'loose behavior' remark was a barb or critique, not a troll. Some
    people think that anyone who has a different opinion from their own or a
    criticism is a 'troll' or trolling.

    For 'loose' example, if you use GG googlegroups to post to newsgroups,
    your true GG subscribing addy is abridged with dots as it appears in GG,
    but it is exposed in its entirety [see above attribution] as it appears
    on nntp based newsservers, where it can be easily harvested by bots
    using XOVER. It is also accessible to humans who can click the dots and
    be provided with the address by passing an anti-bot test.

    In addition, your GG posting exposes your own IP address and
    connectivity provider, which bothers some people's sense of privacy, so
    they don't like to use systems which post to usenet which expose the IP
    address in the headers.

    Mike Easter, Oct 23, 2005
  9. gregheinrich

    Donald Guest

    delete user

    Donald, Oct 23, 2005
  10. gregheinrich

    Dave Lear Guest

    You're aware that IP addresses can be dynamically assigned, right? Unless
    the person harassing you has a static IP address there's absolutely no
    guarantee that just because someone's on the same IP address as the person
    who harassed you that they're actually the harasser.

    Dave Lear, Oct 23, 2005
  11. gregheinrich

    gregheinrich Guest

    it's a static ip. It is the same on all his emails. Also the ip
    address resolves to an exchange in a specific part of Melbourne where
    the harasser lives.
    i know a bit more than you think (although maybe not a LOT more ;-) )

    gregheinrich, Oct 24, 2005
  12. gregheinrich

    gregheinrich Guest

    I won't indulge you in a semantics debate. I really don't care whether
    you were being deliberately or unintentionally inflammatory.
    I know all this and don't care. I have posted using this address for a
    long time. I have nothing to hide, and my spam filtering is efficient.
    It's not the email address that I use most times anyway.

    Greg

    gregheinrich, Oct 24, 2005
  13. gregheinrich

    Dave Lear Guest

    I can assure you that no insult was offered or intended, Greg. :)

    I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that usenet posts / emails
    coming from the same originating IP address weren't necessarily from the
    same user's machine *unless* it the address was a statically assigned one.
    Didn't want you going off to the local police without the full info.

    Dave Lear, Oct 25, 2005