    Like for example this posting, I live in the UK, is it legally possible to
    trace a person so that I can discover the persons identity via there ISP
    number?

    George, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Sure, just call up the ISP and tell them you're stalking one of their
    paying customers and you'd like some contact info. They'll be glad to
    either give you what you want or bring in the right people who handle
    that sort of thing.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 30, 2005

  3. George

    EricP Guest

    You would normally need a court order to get the ISp to give the
    information.

    EricP, Jan 30, 2005
  4. George

    George Guest

    If the ISP uses dial up, and a dynamic IP system, (that is what it sais) can
    they even trace a posting 100% sure or not allways?

    George, Jan 30, 2005
  5. George

    George Guest

    Is their any kind of time limit that they keep the records of who posted
    what info etc?

    George, Jan 30, 2005
  6. George

    why? Guest

    The ISP would know that, maybe they don't record IPs associated with
    accounts or maybe they do.

    There is a common theme here - only the ISP can tell you.

    Me

    why?, Jan 30, 2005
  7. George

    Stickems. Guest

    Stickems., Jan 30, 2005
  8. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    What part of subpoenaing the ISP don't you understand? This is how it
    works. An IP address is assigned, whether statically or dynamically,
    to computers accessing the Internet. The only people who know what
    account this IP address is assigned to is the ISP, who keeps a nice
    little log going that tells who logged on and when. Because of privacy
    concerns, they are not going to give out this info to any wanker who
    has an Internet vendetta, for obvious reasons. Even a capricious and
    deplorable wankfest like Kabitchy Eunuch have a right to anonymity. On
    a side note, there used to be a small utility callde "Finger" that was
    used to give out info about the computer assigned to the IP address.
    Thankfully, this has been disabled by 99.9% of the ISPs out there.
    With that said, if this person is doing something illegal, contact
    their ISP and local law enforcement. And no, if someone is good at
    spoofing IP addresses, have hacked another PC and is posting through
    it or is going through a number of anonymous remailers, you can't be
    100% sure of the IP address.

    ---

    Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jan 30, 2005
  9. George

    kjfshvirh Guest

    Oh FFS.

    kjfshvirh, Jan 30, 2005
  10. George

    Brian G Guest

    George,

    Since 9/11 took place I believe that there is legislation in this country
    (UK) that compels an ISP to keep a copy of all e-mails for a certain length
    of time.

    A person who sends an e-mail can be traced via his or hers ISP, but, you as
    an individual will have a fight on your hands to get this info - unless you
    can give good reason for doing so - and you will almost certainly require a
    court order to do this.

    You I believe are posting via an 'energis.com' account?

    Brian G

    Brian G, Jan 30, 2005
  11. George

    Christopher Guest

    The poster was talking about a usenet account though, not an email.

    Christopher, Jan 30, 2005
  12. George

    Brian G Guest

    My error, that'll teach me to 'RTFM' first, thanks :)

    But I suppose it is still possible that there is an archive of some sort
    kept by Google?

    And if that is the case, my original comments may still apply.

    Brian G

    Brian G, Jan 30, 2005
  13. George

    Christopher Guest

    Hi
    I don't understand your point. What good is any archive of a message if the
    person wants to try to contact him?
    I mean it is the ISP that has the connecting and important data that can be
    used for tracing not any general message that is stored anywhere.
    We can find outselves whatever general message is contained in any post, no
    different than that which is stored on any archive.

    What exactly are you meaning about a post that is archived and how will that
    help the Other Person trace someone via their isp?

    Christopher, Jan 30, 2005
  14.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 30, 2005
  15. George

    Plato Guest

    You cant trace a person. You can only trace an IP. A PC has no idea who
    is behind the keyboard.

    Plato, Jan 30, 2005
  16. www.dnsstuff.com

    Swill

    --
    "Local Power Company, how may I assist you today?"

    "My power is going out."

    "Have all your lights gone?"

    "No, just the one in the refrigerator."

    www.userfriendly.org