    fragmentary. Have been working with LAN's a lot, from Novell 2.0a thru 5,
    Banyan, but guess I am somewhat out of date...

    Rolf

    Rolf, Oct 9, 2007

  2. Rolf

    Ingeborg Guest

    You can't connect to an UDP port. The main difference between UDP and TCP
    is that UDP is connectionless. You can only sent a datagram to it, and hope
    it will arrive.

    There are serveral tools outside to see if udp communication works.
    <http://www.simplecomtools.com/udptesttool.html>

    Ingeborg, Oct 9, 2007

  3. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    I love you. I think 24hsupport is great too. Can't wait to crank up the
    tool.

    Rolf

    Rolf, Oct 9, 2007
  4. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    I downloaded the tool and it looks as if it might be useful, but I don't
    see how I could use it. It seems that I may send and receive to/from and UDP
    address, but if I have a device on my LAN that is programmed to use that
    port, is it possible for me to monitor the communication from my pc by using
    the same port number?

    Do you know any source of information that might be helpful for me?

    Rolf

    Rolf, Oct 11, 2007
  5. Rolf

    Ingeborg Guest

    So you have 2 apps talking to each other, and you want to monitor the
    communication? In that case you need a monitoring proxy. This a 'man in
    the middle' approach. To use this you have to be able to configure the ip
    address and/or the used port. Unfortunately a quick google didn't give me
    a useable tool. I did find Uproxy,
    <http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/8155/uproxy/> which can
    relay UDP data, but which doesn't monitor the data. The source is
    included, so you could add that functionality.

    The other approach is a networksniffer, which simply monitors all network
    traffic, like WireShark. <http://www.wireshark.org/>

    Ingeborg, Oct 11, 2007
  6. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Thanks again, my dear!

    Rolf

    Rolf, Oct 11, 2007
  7. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    I might add that I downloaded something called
    Manage_Engine_OpManager_7_Windows, but it was a little overwhelming, guess
    it was made for the really serious business market.

    So, back to testing your suggestions.

    Rolf

    Rolf, Oct 11, 2007
  8. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    It suddenly struck me how I might determine what my problem is. I suspect
    the ADSL modem, and I got the idea that I could use my pc as a bridge to
    provide WAN access via an analog modem. All it would take is to plug in my
    old US Robotics modem - but I wonder what it takes to set up the bridging
    function?

    Do you know anything about such things?

    I am running a LAN with both my pc and the device conencted to a D-link
    router.

    Rolf

    Rolf, Oct 13, 2007