    Brett Cooper Guest

    How can I tell what CAT my UTP Cat. 3, 4, 5 is?

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Brett Cooper

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Brett Cooper said the following on 29/06/2004 13:37:
    I assume you mean in an installation.
    You could examine a length of the cable for its RG code which will indicate
    what cat rating the cable is, but theres more. All the sockets, patch panels
    etc need to be rated as well, so if you have cat 3 patch panels and cat 5 cable
    it is officially a cat 3 installation, but you may well be able to get cat 5
    performance.
    Confused yet.
    Cat rating is a guide really and your milage may vary on what performance you
    may get on any installation.

    Collector_NZ, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Brett Cooper

    Allistar Guest

    Pre-made cables typically have their rating written along the side of the
    cable. If you got the cable in bulk (off a reel) they sometimes don't
    provide this info, in which case I can't help.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 29, 2004