    can I be sure it is genuine? I hear there are a lot of fakes around.

    cheers in advance
    ed

    Ed, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Ed

    Pete D Guest

    Some of them are so good you probably never will, fill it up to make sure
    you can use the full card, if it works then just use it as if it was a real
    one.

    Pete D, Jun 7, 2006

  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Some of them are so good you probably never will, fill it up to make sure
    Cheers
    It claims to have a fast read/write speed, so how can i tell if it is
    performing up to speed? Is there a set time for a 10meg file to upload
    to a pc, for example

    Ed, Jun 7, 2006
  4. Ed

    Pete D Guest

    If you look for a thread late last week on fake 2Gig cards there was some
    links to some info.

    The Ultra cards are supposed to do 10Mbps. Do you have some other cards to
    compare?

    Pete D, Jun 7, 2006
  5. Ed

    Ed Guest

    I'l have a look for that thread, I only just got the camera and it
    comes with a bog standard 16 meg card. I only just came across this
    group - thanks for your help

    Ed

    Ed, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Ed

    Pat Guest

    Card speed isn't everything. You can't read faster than your card
    reader, so if you card reader is slow even a genuine card will be slow.

    Pat, Jun 7, 2006
  7. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Very true. All I really care about is getting a large number of
    files/photos on the card and not running the risk of the card getting
    corrupted somehow and refusing to be read. This happened with my first
    digital camera, a Kodak. They replaced it but the new one suffers
    dreadful battery life - perhaps 10 pictures if you use the flash and
    preview screen. The new one is a Canon powershot A530

    How many photos should I expect to get on a 1gb card with camera set at
    5mp?

    Ed, Jun 7, 2006
  8. Ed

    Beck Guest

    Depending on the amount of compression the camera uses it could be anythign
    from 800-1000 pictures.
    I have a 4mp camera with a 1gb SD card and it has around 1000 pictures.

    Beck, Jun 7, 2006
  9. Ed

    Kevin Agard Guest

    It's not simply a matter of "compression."

    The number of shots that will fit on a given sized card vary greatly
    depending on a number of things:

    * Resolution being shot
    * MPs
    * Format(s) being saved.

    For example, I shoot at 2000 x 3000 at 6.1mp in Raw+Fine JPG. That means
    I get roughly 80 shoots per 1gb card.

    The bottom line is that the OP needs to go "play" with his camera at
    differing settings and find out what the various configs will yield.

    Kevin Agard, Jun 7, 2006
  10. Ed

    Dave Cohen Guest

    The A95 which is 5mp gets around 90 on a 256mb card using superfine and
    max resolution. I imagine your's would be same so you should expect
    around 360. Double this if you drop down to fine and I've never been
    able to see any difference between fine and superfine. I shoot at
    superfine because I rarely fill the card except maybe on vacation.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jun 7, 2006
  11. Ed

    george Guest

    You can go to Sandisk.com and register your purchase...a phony serial number
    should be kicked out. You definitely know for sure when a rebate is
    involved.

    George

    george, Jun 7, 2006
  12. Ed

    ASAAR Guest

    Or read the camera's manual. They usually have tables showing how
    many shots can be made at different settings for several different
    card sizes. The same manual is used for the A530/A540, and it shows
    values for three card sizes: 16MB (included with the camera),
    SDC-128M and SDC-512MSH. The number of pictures that the A530 can
    save to a 1GB card should be roughly double the number given for the
    512MB SD card. The manual lists values for three different
    compression ratios, and for these resolutions: Large, Middle(1),
    Middle(2), Small, Postcard Date Imprint Mode, and Widescreen. For
    the Large size (2592 x 1944 pixels), a 512 MB card can hold an
    estimated 671, 339 or 190 images, depending on whether the Normal,
    Fine or Superfine compression setting is used, so a 1GB card would
    be able to hold approximately 380 to 1342 Large images.

    ASAAR, Jun 7, 2006
  13. Ed

    snapper Guest

    If it was really cheap, it is a fake.