  1. I need a photos of tachyons for my professor.If I don't deliver him
    the photos until next Monday, he will kick my butt!

    So how can I take photos of tachyons???

    Karl-Hugo Weesberg, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    usenet Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Karl-Hugo Weesberg) stated
    that:
    First, you need to buy an abandoned mine, the deeper the better. Second,
    you need about a million gallons of drycleaning fluid. You should be
    able to find the details via Google.

    HTH!

    usenet, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    RSD99 Guest

    HeHeHeHeHe ...

    You have a choice ...

    (1) I advise using wormholes as your first method of attacking this
    problem.
    ..
    Tachyons, even theoretical as they are, still obey relative time. On the
    other hand, wormholes don't even have to stay in the same universe, much
    less the same time and place. I guess anular singularities are not as
    useful as all that after all.

    (2) Obtain adequate protection for your "butt."

    [I'd suggest completing choice two before attempting choice one.]

    RSD99, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    Tim S. Guest

    Q: Are there still other ways to look for tachyons?

    A: Yes. You could indirectly measure the rest mass of an undetected particle
    given off in a particle reaction by measuring the "missing" energy E and
    the missing momentum p, and then calculating the square of the missing mass
    using: m2= E2 -(pc)2. Only a tachyon would have m2 < 0.

    Tim S., Oct 26, 2004
  5. Do a screen capture of a Star Trek rerun.

    Gene Palmiter, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    Guest Guest

    Archived from (Karl-Hugo Weesberg) on 26 Oct 2004
    01:08:54 -0700:

    Take your camera to your nearest bicycle shop.
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=1202

    If your professor doesn't approve of the photos, tell him to piss off.

    Guest, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    usenet Guest

    Kibo informs me that stated that:
    *Applause!*

    I hereby award you the inaugural "Best Answer to a Silly Question in
    RPD" award for October '04. ;)

    usenet, Oct 26, 2004
  8. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    Guest Guest

    usenet writes:

    usenet> Kibo informs me that (Karl-Hugo Weesberg) stated
    that>

    usenet> First, you need to buy an abandoned mine, the deeper the better. Second,
    usenet> you need about a million gallons of drycleaning fluid. You should be
    usenet> able to find the details via Google.

    usenet> HTH!

    No, you have confused neutrinos with tachyons.

    Neutrinos are much easier.

    Guest, Oct 26, 2004
  9. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    usenet Guest

    Damn - you're right.

    But I'm sure that my advice to the OP is just as sensible as his
    question. ;)

    usenet, Oct 27, 2004

  10. Quoting http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Tachyon.html
    You could call his bluff and show blank black photo, noting that the
    tachyon went past before the light could reach the camera.

    Or show a minute dot of light and challenge him to prove it isn't.

    If you have access to a cloud chamber you could photograph the trails
    and say that they aren't the actual tachyons but they are where they
    went.

    (Is this Prof given to leg-pulling? Or does he just want to to work out
    for yourself that a photo of a tachyon would put you in line for a Nobel
    prize.)

    Nigel Crompton, Oct 27, 2004
  11. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    usenet Guest

    This person is just joking (or possibly trying to annoy the users of
    can.uucp. He posts similar questions to groups all over Usenet on a
    regular basis.

    usenet, Oct 27, 2004
  12. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    John Doe Guest

    Ok, you will need a very high power zoom lens and really really really
    really small tweezers! :^)

    Sorry, couldn't help it.

    John

    John Doe, Oct 27, 2004
  13. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    n Guest

    Light travels at the speed of light, c.
    Tachyons move faster than light, ie >c

    However, we know that light travels more slowly through water than
    air, for instance, because it refracts.

    So, if we found a medium that would slow a tachyon down to less than c
    it ought to be possible to take a picture of it on its way.

    n, Oct 29, 2004
  14. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    Ken Davey Guest

    Brain matter (yours should be dense enough).
    Use a Sigma lens and Fovion sensor - perfect combination.
    Good luck (G).
    Ken.

    Ken Davey, Oct 29, 2004
  15. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    Morton Klotz Guest

    It would work better if tachyons actually existed.

    Morton Klotz, Oct 29, 2004
  16. How do you photograph tacyons? You ask a leprechaun for help.

    Seriously, tacyons only exist as a concept useful for the completeness of
    certain theories. They're like the imaginary number: a mathematical
    convenience.

    To photograph an intangible concept you have to find something that is
    tangible that can represent that concept.

    The most concrete representation of a tacyon I can think of off hand would
    be a pendulum with a pivot point just below the top. As the top part of the
    pendulum swings slowly through a small arc, the bottom part (the "tacyon")
    will swing much more quickly through a much larger arc, and in opposite
    directions.

    Avery Gibbons, Oct 30, 2004