    enough, and the exposure may not work out. With ISO set low, this should work
    easier.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Robertwgross

    Frank ess Guest

    You write computer manuals, don't you?

    Frank ess, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Robertwgross

    OM Guest

    Can someone tell me how I can take a close up picture of something and have
    the main front object be sharp and smooth, but have the background be
    blurry.

    I have a Fuji S5000.
    I know how to use most of the functions and settings.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    OM.

    OM, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Robertwgross

    Frank ess Guest

    I'm sorry. That wasn't helpful at all, was it?

    The simple answer is in Bob Gross's paragraph, just pretty well hidden:
    your main subject must be within the depth of field or focus, and the
    background beyond it.

    Depth of field depends on several factors, and with control of your
    camera's functions you may be able to manipulate them so your desires
    are met; however, if the subject and background are not far enough
    apart, the limits of your controllable factors may not be able to
    separate them.

    Factors, as I understand it, are:

    Distance from subject to background
    greater distance, better chance of out-of-focus background
    Distance from lens to subject
    generally, closer, better chance, farther, less chance
    influence varies with
    Lens focal length
    shorter (smaller number), lesser chance of out-of-focus bg;
    longer (higher number), greater chance
    Lens aperture (or as it is commonly called hereabouts, "apacher")
    larger relative size (lower number) greater chance
    smaller size (higher number) lesser chance oofbg

    The available extremes of any of these may not be sufficient to
    accomplish your goal; however, if you can manage a few tries and
    variations, an acceptable compromise may be achieved.

    Depending on your subject and environment, of course.

    Good luck.

    --
    Frank ess
    Professional Describer

    PS: I'd direct you to an example or two, but FotoTime is down. First
    time in a long time.

    Frank ess, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Robertwgross

    Jim Guest

    The usual method is to use the largest aperature setting with the longest
    focal length. In all likelihood, either manual or aperature priority is
    what you should be using.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Robertwgross

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, you can decrease the depth of field by opening the lens as wide as
    it will go and making sure it stays that way, ie., manual setting for
    aperture. Allow shutter speed to compensate for the light.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 8, 2004
  7. Robertwgross

    Tonka Guest

    This is how I does it OM.

    Lets say with a flower.

    Camera to flower distance..........2 meters. If zoom lens fitted frame
    flower or place camera in position to frame flower.

    Flower to background distance..............5 meters

    f number 2.8 to 3.6

    speed to suit situation.........tripod mount if very slow.

    tonka

    Tonka, Aug 8, 2004
  8. Robertwgross

    larrylook Guest

    Also, if you're not the photographer these guys are or you mess up and the
    background is too sharp: Get smart select tool on editing program -> select
    your subject -> inverse select the rest of the picture and blur or soften it
    as much as you like. You can be a pretty lousy photographer with digital
    and still get a decent photo sometimes. Good luck

    larrylook, Aug 8, 2004
  9. Robertwgross

    JPS Guest

    In message <hseRc.833$>,
    Each of those things reduces depth-of-field in isolation, in an "all
    other things being equal"-type scenario.

    In actual practice, you may get a narrower DOF with the widest angle
    that the zoom provides, because at any given f-stop, DOF is more
    directly related to image magnification on the focal plane than it is to
    focal length. IOW, standing 20 feet from a subject with a 200mm focal
    length will give the same DOF as standing 5 feet away with a 50mm lens,
    both with the same f-stop. The main difference is the scaling of
    foreground and background areas.

    Most zoom lenses have a lower minimum f-stop for their widest angle,
    giving narrower DOF for the same subject size in the frame.

    JPS, Aug 11, 2004