how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NewB, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. NewB

    NewB Guest

    win98se
    mozilla browser
    quicktime plugin [aside: seems you have to install quicktime as an ap
    just to get the browser plugin]

    problem:

    quicktime is intercepting mp3 file download attempts and playing them
    I want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as' dialogue

    In quicktime settings, I deselected mp3.. so it is not the default mp3
    player

    any way to stop QT from intercepting my download attempts?

    I know when there is a link, i can right click and click 'save as'
    but there are lots of time I am pasting the link to an mp3 in the goto
    location bar..

    NewB, Nov 5, 2004

  2. NewB

    trout Guest

    Try this. From Start Menu; go to Settings; Folder Options; File Type
    tab.
    Highlight "Quick Time Player Plugin"; click Edit, and make sure that
    "Confirm open after download" is checked.

    trout, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Perhaps the trick will be to remove the plugin and set up a "helper
    application" instead. So far, I can't find a way to force it to work the way
    that you want. Have you asked in the Mozilla news group?

    Norman Miller, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Say, do you have any psychological problems?
    Are you sure you want the default to be either 'ask me' or 'save as'
    dialogue?
    What makes you think I am a chatbot?
    Stop! Don't answer that! It's a trick
    mumbo-jumbo-combo-question-thinga-majigger.
    Why do you ask if you know when there is a link? Why do you think you
    are pasting the link to an mp3 in the goto location bar?

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 5, 2004
  5. NewB

    NewB Guest

    It was already checked. :\

    I notified apple/quicktime about this a while back, but never got a
    reply.

    NewB, Nov 5, 2004
  6. NewB

    trout Guest

    You could try associating the file-type with a different program,
    that will play nicer. Both from Folder Options and in the (program x)
    default file associations.

    trout, Nov 5, 2004
  7. NewB

    Fred Guest

    If i did have any psychological problems, would I tell you?
    What is desirable?
    Why are you a chatbot?
    Why should I stop?
    What? I'll have to see it first.
    I enjoy it.
    Because I want to.

    Fred, Nov 6, 2004
  8. NewB

    NewB Guest

    On system, mp3 is associated with winamp
    on QT, mp3 is de-selected

    so i remain stumped.

    NewB, Nov 6, 2004
  9. NewB

    trout Guest

    Hmmm. How about when you just (double) click an mp3 that's already
    on your drive? Does Winamp open it?
    Another thing to consider is that Mozilla may have an option in
    'tools' or configuration to suspend the browser plug-in. I'm not
    familiar with the program, so I can't check, myself.

    trout, Nov 6, 2004
  10. NewB

    poppy10

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have the same problem, and I have tried the steps above - is there any solution yet please? :smile:

    poppy10, Oct 18, 2007
  11. NewB

    giaffebecky

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    SAME PROBLEM!!!!!

    What in the hoozy is goin' on with this crap!? (Trying not to swear doesn't really work out for me...)

    I've been 'google-ing this problem' and 'trying suggested ideas' for hours now! Has anyone figured this out?

    Or has anyone contacted Mozilla/Firefox to let them know about this issue? (Which I'm going to do as soon as I've posted this response.)

    I'll die if this isn't fixable!

    HELP!!!!! :banghead:

    giaffebecky, Oct 23, 2012