    recorded in the above Stored User Names and Passwords?

    Thank you!

    IHT

    Internet Highway Traveler, Sep 26, 2010

  2. Internet Highway Traveler

    horse Guest

    I just love this guy. He obviously doesn't even use the program and he's
    trying to advise someone how to fix the problem. That's kind of like a 10
    year old telling Tiger Woods how to improve his game.

    horse, Sep 26, 2010

  3. | On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 02:14:45 -0400, "Internet Highway Traveler"

    | >Hello,
    | >
    | >My OS is XP Pro SP3.
    | >
    | >I use an old Windows Messenger; the version is 4.7.3001. I have no plans
    | >upgrade it.
    |
    | Why not?
    |
    | >I recently ran the command "Control Userpasswords2" (w/o quotation marks)
    | >and noted that my Messenger password was displayed in User Accounts ...
    | >Advanced ... Manage Passwords ... Stored User Names and Passwords.
    | >
    | >Is there any way that I can log into my messenger without my password
    being
    | >recorded in the above Stored User Names and Passwords?
    |
    | Just a thought... Log out of Messenger. Go into userpasswords2. Remove
    | password. Exit. Load Messenger. Does Messenger give you an option to
    | uncheck of something like "Store my password" or "Automatically log me
    | on?"
    |
    | Disable those.
    | --
    | To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
    address.

    Evan,

    I deleted my password prior to posting.

    When I am about to log into Messenger, there is a box immediately left of
    "Sign me in automatically". I never checkmark it.

    Though unchecked, once I enter my password to log-in, that password is
    nevertheless recorded as described below.

    In terms of "Why not?", I see no need to upgrade. The version that I have
    provides what I require.

    Regards,

    IHT

    Internet Highway Traveler, Sep 26, 2010
  4. Internet Highway Traveler

    richard Guest

    Forgive Evan. He likes to be helpful by guessing a lot.
    If you don't want to upgrade, that's your business.
    personally, I don't bother with any of the messenger programs. what can
    they do that email can't? Respond quicker? wow.

    I know a few people who still use windows 3.1. A couple around here and
    elsewhere even still use a commodore 64. So don't worry about it. If you're
    happy the way things are, that's all that matters.

    As for your problem, I wouldn't worry about it much. As you do need to log
    in in order to acess where that password is shown right? The only way
    someone could know it is if they were looking over your shoulder.

    richard, Sep 26, 2010
  5. Internet Highway Traveler

    VanguardLH Guest

    That password is stored encrypted in the registry using the crypto key
    assigned to your assigned which is also hashed in the registry for your
    Windows account. No one else on that computer will be able to use that
    encrypted stored password UNLESS you leave the computer running
    unlocked. If you don't use a screen saver that is password locked, or
    lock the workstation when you leave it momentarily or for long periods,
    or don't bother using a password on your account (so anyone can just
    boot the computer to go into your account) then you tossed away the
    security afforded by the Windows login.

    VanguardLH, Sep 26, 2010
  6. Ackshully a ten year old could have told Tiger Woods how to improve his
    game: keep yer dick in yer pants and focus on golf.

    <nods>

    /___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \[email protected]_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 26, 2010
  7. Internet Highway Traveler

    chuckcar Guest

    That could very well be the fix. Stating off the top you're not willing to
    get a newer version is quite limiting in respect.
    Why does it worry you? Perhaps passwording your computer itself to prevent
    anyone else using it is warrented.

    Ignore Evan, he can't even get a job as a security guard, never mind knowing
    anything about fixing computer problems.

    chuckcar, Sep 27, 2010
  8. Internet Highway Traveler

    chuckcar Guest

    For one thing, that wasn't a problem. The other thing is, Tiger woods
    wasn't having computer problems.

    His game *did* get bad for a while - the first day of his first
    tournament after the divorce was announced.

    chuckcar, Sep 27, 2010
  9. Internet Highway Traveler

    horse Guest

    So you would be the janitor then right? I'll bet your company's
    receptionist is a genius with computers too.

    horse, Sep 27, 2010
  10. Internet Highway Traveler

    Dan C Guest

    Well, at least everyone here can be very sure as to what *you* are. An
    obsessed, delusional stalker.
    Yeah, that too.

    Dan C, Sep 27, 2010
  11. Internet Highway Traveler

    horse Guest

    wrong! richard I am not by a long shot. You work the help desk? Who do you
    help? You sure are totally helpless around here.
    Takes one to know one.

    horse, Sep 27, 2010
  12. Internet Highway Traveler

    horse Guest

    Wow you really are reaching aren't you? While the word may not be all that
    common to most, it can be in the right pastures. You do know that
    horsehockey is akin to bullshit? A favorite word of Colonel Sherman Potter
    on MASH. Ever hear of horsehockey bingo? Usually found in various parades
    in certain parts of the country. You purchase a card with a number and lay
    it on the street. If a horse hits the card with his droppings, then you
    win.
    While richard may have used the word a time or two, that does not make it
    exclusive to him. That still makes you one stupid dumbshit.

    horse, Sep 27, 2010
  13. Internet Highway Traveler

    Meat Plow Guest

    I repaired your typo errors. No need to thank me.

    Meat Plow, Sep 27, 2010