    b) run this "Btv" from a ram disk and somehow "park" the harddrive.
    c) Any software workaround to "Btv" or the like.

    Any thoughts?

    torlissa, Aug 10, 2003

  2. I went through two of the lower capacity IBM drives (may have been 10
    gig, I don't remember) on my TiBook before giving up and switching to a
    40 gig one. No problems since, and I have occasionally turned the thing
    upside down or sideways. Crashing disks are not good. Get one that
    doesn't crash.

    Have no idea about the Btv stuff, though.

    David Eppstein, Aug 10, 2003

  3. << My current 10
    gig IBM drive tends to crash with even subtle movements. >>

    Torlissa-

    When my PB G3 Wallstreet's original 8 GB drive failed, the replacement was 10
    GB. Although it lasted longer, it eventually failed and was replaced by a 30
    GB. Neither failure was a "hard" failure, so little or no data was lost. I
    suggest you go ahead and replace your drive before it quits completely.

    For advice on the Btv software, you might ask the question on one of the
    Macintosh newsgroups. Even with a new HD, you may benefit from inverting the
    display. (I assume you mean 180 degree rotation rather than a negative image!)

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Aug 10, 2003
  4. Your drive is acting abnormally. Fit a newer one and your problem will
    be solved. I just put a 40G in my PB G3 FireWire, pretty much the same
    drive technology. I sometimes twist it on edge when I'm laying in bed
    reading web sites, no problems.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Aug 10, 2003
  5. torlissa

    George Kerby Guest

    I'm working off the exact same model as you (torlissa) at present. As
    Gregory states above, when I turn it on its side, there appears to be
    nothing abnormal. I would suggest that you get another drive. I got one from
    MCE Technologies for ~$200 US. It's a snap to put in. If you are gonna go
    with OSX, you need to partition the first 8 gigs for X

    George Kerby, Aug 10, 2003