    2. install win98 on an empty machine.

    Thanks for your help,
    hj

    hugh jass, Jan 30, 2004

  2. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    By the way, the laptop is an Asus P2-266mhz with 64Mb ram.

    ______________________
    : I used to run win98 on it and then got sick of it...
    : Then I tried to install Gentoo linux on it and didn't quite succeed, so
    it's
    : been sitting idle for a while.
    : Now I urgently need to put win98 on it again so I can take it on a trip...
    : When I insert the win98SE CD and boot up, all I get is a cursor (looks
    like
    : an underscore).
    : I've only installed windows from DOS or older versions.
    : How can I:
    : 1. remove any linux stuff that's on there now (would like to format c: if
    : could)
    : 2. install win98 on an empty machine.
    :
    : Thanks for your help,
    : hj
    :
    : --
    : ______________________
    : please remove the obvious from my email...
    :
    :

    hugh jass, Jan 30, 2004

  3. hugh jass

    philo Guest

    first thing you need to do is delete all your linux partitions
    (and fdisk will not help you)

    if you still have your linux CD...you can start the installation over
    and delete all the partitions...just don't reinstall of course

    then run fdisk from dos and create your active primary partition
    reboot and format the drive
    then install win98

    if you no longer have your linux cd

    just to a google search for aefdisk.exe

    then put it on your boot floppy and run aefdisk /delall

    that will delete *all* partitions ,,,no matter which OS

    then run fdisk and repartition, etc

    philo, Jan 30, 2004
  4. hugh jass

    Rifleman Guest

    Rubbish! Fdisk will remove non-dos partitions perfectly well.

    Rifleman, Jan 30, 2004
  5. hugh jass

    philo Guest

    not necessarily so fdisk from win95/98

    may not work...

    especially with such as ext2 /ext3 partitions

    (although the updated fdisk as comes with winME might)

    at any rate aefdisk will delete everything no matter what

    philo, Jan 30, 2004
  6. hugh jass

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Jan 31, 2004
  7. hugh jass

    Rifleman Guest

    W98 Fdisk certainly does. Done it often.

    Rifleman, Jan 31, 2004
  8. hugh jass

    philo Guest

    I'm sure you did...but it does not always work...especially with multiple
    partitions...

    I've seen it where you can delete the logical drives
    but when you go to delete the primary partiton...
    there would be an error mesaage "cannot delete primary partition if a
    logical drive exists" Or something similar

    if viewed form windows fdisk the logical drive is gone
    but if viewed from linux fdisk or cfdisk the partition is there!

    I have installed and uninstall Linux many times and assure you that win98
    fdisk *can* have a problem with ext2...Not saying categorically that it
    does not work however.

    My real point was the aefdisk can get rid of all partitions in one
    simple operation

    philo, Jan 31, 2004