    have to boot using the Gentoo Livecd and run cfdisk to remove all
    partitions.

    After you've successfully removed the partitions, you are going to select
    #1 and create a primary dos partition. Once it's created you need to set
    it active. Then reboot so the system can read the partition table.

    Once you've rebooted, select the default which enables cdrom support.
    After it boots format c: and let it go. After that run setup. This will
    automatically load the Windows drivers and should access the setup file on
    the CD. From there you get to configure Windows.

    Whyld-Chyld, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Whyld-Chyld

    hugh jass Guest

    This is a repost b/c the answers (thanks!) I recieved assumed that I still
    had DOS on my machine.
    This is not true. I need to wipe the HDD and then install DOS/win98 from
    scratch...

    I used to run win98 on it and then got sick of it...
    Then I tried to install Gentoo linux on it and didn't quite succeed, so it's
    been sitting idle for a while.
    **Now, all I have on the machine is a partial installation of Linux and no
    windows/DOS partition.
    I urgently need to put win98 on it again so I can take it on a trip...
    When I insert the win98SE CD and boot up, all I get is a cursor (looks like
    an underscore).
    I've only installed windows from DOS or older versions.
    How can I:
    1. remove any linux stuff that's on there now (would like to format c: if I
    could)
    2. install win98 on an empty machine.

    Thanks for your help,
    hj

    By the way, the laptop is an Asus P2-266mhz with 64Mb ram.

    hugh jass, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Whyld-Chyld

    Gil Guest

    Gil, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Whyld-Chyld

    MikeyD Guest

    Use another machine with working win9x. Go to control panel, add/remove
    programs, the third tab (startup disk) and click make startup disk. Boot
    from this floppy and run fdisk. Delete all the partitions and add one
    partition, with its type set to fat. Then run format and format this
    partition. Then (once, as someone said, you have enabled booting from cd in
    the bios) boot from the win98 cd and you should be able to install it.

    MikeyD, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Whyld-Chyld

    philo Guest

    Just read the answer I already gave you
    it dos not matter if you had dos on the machine or not

    philo, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Whyld-Chyld

    dadiOH Guest

    Boot from a start up floppy and format away.
    Boot from a start up floppy making sure that CD support is available. Put
    the Win98 cd in the drive - have your license key available - change
    directory to the CD drive (probably E, D is a RAM drive) and run "setup".

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________

    dadiOH, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Whyld-Chyld

    Zephyr Guest

    Its not necassary to actually already have a PC running win98 to create a
    win98 boot disk. A file to create a Win98 boot disk can be downloaded from
    http://www.bootdisk.com

    Simply download and run the relevant boot disk file from the site.

    Zephyr, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Whyld-Chyld

    Harrison Guest

    Laptop with floppy drive:
    Create a Windows boot disk from a working machine or download an image
    from www.bootdisk.com.

    Laptop without floppy drive:
    You'll need access to a machine with a CD burner, a floppy drive, and
    Nero (possibly others).
    Create a bootable floppy or download one as mentioned above. Use Nero
    to create a bootable cd.
    http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm

    Once booted to DOS, run fdisk.
    Delete all DOS and non-DOS partitions.
    See section 3 on this page
    http://www.compguystechweb.com/troubleshooting/fdisk/fdisk_scr.html
    Create New partition(s) and set active (Section 1 on above page)

    Exit FDISK and reboot to CD or floppy.
    At the prompt, type format C: and hit Enter.

    I always like to reboot after formatting, but it's not required.
    Once formatted and rebooted, type in the cd-rom drive letter, followed
    by colon and press Enter (i.e. D: <Enter>). If you used a boot CD,
    change to the Windows CD and then switch drives.
    Run setup.exe and you're on your way.

    Harrison, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Whyld-Chyld

    hugh jass Guest

    Thanks for your help. I was a little confused about how to deal with the
    partitioning, but your simple instructions got me going again.
    hj

    --
    ______________________
    : On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:09:58 -0500, hugh jass wrote:
    :
    : > This is a repost b/c the answers (thanks!) I recieved assumed that I
    still
    : > had DOS on my machine.
    : > This is not true. I need to wipe the HDD and then install DOS/win98
    from
    : > scratch...
    : >
[...]
    : This assumes you have a working windows 98/Me machine.
    :
    : Go to add/remove programs and select the 3rd tab and create a startup
    : disk. This can be on any Win98+ machine but not XP.
    :
    : After that you are going to boot with the floppy, select without cdrom
    : support and once it boots type fdisk. This starts the MS disk partitioning
    : tool. The first thing do to is select 3. This allows you to delete any dos
    : partitions but if there are any linux logical partitions then you will
    : have to boot using the Gentoo Livecd and run cfdisk to remove all
    : partitions.
    :
    : After you've successfully removed the partitions, you are going to select
    : #1 and create a primary dos partition. Once it's created you need to set

    hugh jass, Feb 2, 2004
  10. Whyld-Chyld

    hugh jass Guest

    Thanks for all the informative replies!
    hj

    --
    ______________________
[...]
    : --
    : ______________________
    : please remove the obvious from my email...
    :
    :

    hugh jass, Feb 2, 2004
  11. Whyld-Chyld

    Rosco Guest

    First of all, Don't cross-post. To reformat and install windows, you
    will need to use a dos boot disk( windows start up disk). You will need
    to reformat the hard drive with it then install windows from the setup
    program on your windows cd

    hugh jass cried out

    Rosco, Feb 12, 2004