How can I import XML or CSV, or TXT files into an E-Mail Client

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Zygon Curry, Jan 20, 2007.

  1. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    Hi

    Does anyone know how I can import XML or CSV, or TXT files into an
    E-Mail Client?

    I have Private Messages on a vBulletin based forum that I want to save
    into as email messages.

    The only options that the vBulletin forum givesme is to save all the
    messages in one file in one of the following formats:

    XML
    CSV
    TXT

    And I need to know how I can import these files into my email client.

    I have access to the following email clients which I have installed on
    my computer:

    Outlook 2003
    Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5
    Agent 3.2
    Outlook Express 6

    Previously I was able to save the the forum private messages as email
    messages because vBulletin allowed users to save the messages in the
    MBOX format, which is a native format for Mozilla Thunderbird.
    Unfortunately, the current version of the vBulletin software that the
    forum runs no longer allows users to save in the MBOX format :(

    All help appreciated.

    Thanks,
    ZC

    zctgs @ clara.co.uk

    Zygon Curry, Jan 20, 2007

  2. Zygon Curry

    sdlomi2 Guest

    Using OE-6, File>Import>Messages and follow directions. If U need
    further help, Google is your friend. s

    sdlomi2, Jan 21, 2007

  3. Zygon Curry

    reply Guest

    Sounds like an unnecessary step, using an email client. If it's just
    to store and access the messages, maybe somethign else it easier.
    Hopefully no problems with exporting then?
    That would be -
    File / Import and Export
    From another program or file

    IIRC, Outlook 2000 was 20 formats, although mostly other contacts /
    address books.
    Don't know.
    Import Message File Format
    from the Agent 2.0 Helpfile (same in v4.1)

    Don't use that version anymore, it does have Import and it uses the
    UNIX message format, see the Agent Help

    Agent can import messages from a text file in the standard UNIX
    message format (RFC-822). If you were using Eudora or Pegasus for
    email, Forté provides converters for exporting messages from these
    programs into the standard UNIX format. For more information, see
    Importing Email Messages from Another Program.

    [ then it explains the required format ]

    You can get RFC822
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0822.txt
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html

    It looks easy enough and a fun project to simply write a script and
    create messages from XML etc.
    Even fewer options, then you would know this looking at the helpfiles
    for the apps you listed.

    Thern again www.google.com checking the outlook developer sites, or
    anywhere else.
    Ask the developers then.

    <snip>

    Me

    reply, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Zygon Curry

    why? Guest

    Looks like you are the 1 needing further help, have you looked at the
    list of options in OE6?

    OP would be better off converting the data into a binary file format
    OE6 understands first, then use Import. OE6 doesn't have XML,CSV or
    TXT listed.

    Me

    why?, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Zygon Curry

    Zygon Curry Guest

    I need to be able to store and search the messages ideally from one
    place and an email client is well suited to that. In the past I know
    it has been possible to take private messages from within vBulletin
    and export into a email client useable format. Unfortunately it looks
    like that was done via an independent forum add-on which is no longer
    available for the current version of vBulletin that the forum is
    running on.

    No problems exporting them at all. Exporting them was simple. It's the
    Importing them that's hard :(

    Sadly I couldn't get any of these to impoter the messages.

    I know Thunderbird uses the MBOX mail format so if there was any way
    to convert the file to an MBOX format then Thunderbird has a good
    chance of importing the messages.

    I'll try using Pegasus Mail and see how it goes.

    Thanks for the help everyone.

    Zygon Curry, Jan 21, 2007
  6. Zygon Curry

    why? Guest

    <snip>

    As you can get at the Thunderbird source, how about writing your own
    converter?

    Thunderbird API ... web which describes the Berkeley Unix mbox file
    format. About the only additional
    thing you may need information on is Mozilla Thunderbird's proprietary
    status ...
    netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news - Dec 6 2004, 5:11 pm by slawek - 3
    messages - 2 authors

    You may be lucky, as an old Tbird post says -

    From: Ralph Fox
    Newsgroups: netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news
    Subject: Re: Thunderbird File Import
    Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:24:59 +0000

    ">I have text email file folders saved from a work station. "
    "Are these in mbox file format? (Also known as Berkeley/Unix message
    file format). "

    As mentioned earlier, the format of the file is in the RFC and the
    Forte Agent Help, so a simple script looks ideal.

    YW.

    Me

    why?, Jan 21, 2007