    selection of "Yes")?

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Aug 31, 2005

  2. MaryL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Sure. Undelete the program (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs).

    Toolman Tim, Aug 31, 2005

  3. MaryL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Oops...unINSTALL the program <g> (long day...)

    Toolman Tim, Aug 31, 2005
  4. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks. However, I don't know if this will appear under Add/Remove
    Programs. Other Yahoo programs do not, and I don't want to add any others.
    I wouldn't mind adding it (and deleting) if I could be sure it won't drop
    various "components" on my hard disk -- but I'm not sure of that.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Aug 31, 2005
  5. MaryL

    trout Guest

    What other "Yahoo programs"? If it's something like the Yahoo
    toolbar, check if there's an option to turn off 'automatically look for
    updates', or something of that nature.

    trout, Aug 31, 2005
  6. MaryL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Every Yahoo component I've ever dealt with had a remove option in Control
    Panel. And you can delete each piece individually. For instance, I use Yahoo
    Messenger, but I don't want anything else. So, after messenger is installed,
    I go to the control panel and remove everything else, keeping only the
    messenger.

    If, on the other hand, you use the Companion (I don't even know what that
    does...) then let it do the upgrade. I've never found problems with Yahoo
    software on any of the PCs I use and manage.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 31, 2005
  7. MaryL

    Evan Platt Guest

    Did you LOOK?
    There's nothing to 'add'
    You can't 'add' it there - short of installing a program.

    Evan Platt, Aug 31, 2005
  8. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Yes, I looked. There is nothing under Yahoo in Add/Remove Programs.
    However, a Yahoo Toolbar of some sort appeared on my computer some time
    ago -- I think I got tired of the request to install it and finally selected
    "yes" on that one just to get rid of the message.

    One problem is that I simply don't know what Yahoo Companion does. This
    dialog box doesn't say anything beyond what I quoted -- there is no
    description of features.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Aug 31, 2005
  9. MaryL

    Trax Guest

    |>Everytime I access the Internet, I get a dialog box that says "There is an
    |>update to the Yahoo! Companion. It will take a few seconds to install.
    |>Would you like to update now?"
    |>
    |>I have a choice of "Yes" or "No." There is *no* option to decline
    |>permanently or to check off something like "do not show this in the future."
    |>
    |>I don't want to install. I have no idea what it might add to my registry,
    |>and I don't like programs that "take over" in that way. Is there any way to
    |>*permanently* get rid of this obnoxious box (other than the obvious
    |>selection of "Yes")?

    How to Uninstall or Turn off the Yahoo! Companion Browser Toolbar
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303047

    Trax, Aug 31, 2005
  10. MaryL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    There ya go! I'm surprised it doesn't show in add/remove - maybe that only
    happens when it's installed as a "package deal" with the IM or other
    stuff. Either way, that should help Mary out.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 31, 2005
  11. MaryL

    Trax Guest

    look at that!
    You dump'd OE, welcome to the real world. :)

    Trax, Aug 31, 2005
  12. MaryL

    trout Guest

    Either that, or just playing with the new toy. Just been looking,
    myself. Is there a 'show replies to my messages' - type view? I don't
    see it.

    trout, Aug 31, 2005
  13. MaryL

    Trax Guest

    |>Trax wrote:
    |>

    |>> look at that!
    |>> You dump'd OE, welcome to the real world. :)

    |> Either that, or just playing with the new toy. Just been looking,
    |>myself. Is there a 'show replies to my messages' - type view? I don't
    |>see it.

    I've never care'd for the Opera messaging system. No matter what I try
    I always go back to Agent.

    Trax, Aug 31, 2005
  14. I suspect it's like Thunderbird -- another not-ready-for-prime-time
    mail and/or news client from a *browser* outfit. I'd rather see the
    browser outfits put those resources into their browsers.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 31, 2005
  15. MaryL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yeah - I was looking for that too.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 31, 2005
  16. MaryL

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, not entirely <g>! I need to get some setup work done and test-drive it
    a bit. Having OE all configured and 'fixed' with Quotefix makes it really
    hard to switch ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Aug 31, 2005
  17. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks! This was just what I needed, and I appreciate the help. I really
    dislike programs that create those dialog boxes asking if I want to install
    something, but they don't provide any option to say "never" and they don't
    give any information about what would be created.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Sep 3, 2005