    The only shares the laptop has are the $Admin and $Print shares...

    Thanks

    Kelvin

    Kelvin, Dec 6, 2007

  2. Secure the WAP.

    It should be done anyway, regaurdless.

    Use at least WPA,...not WEP

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Dec 6, 2007

  3. Kelvin

    Barb Bowman Guest

    why won't she secure her wireless? If you are an IT Pro, wouldn't
    you want to insure that she uses the best wireless security
    available?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 6, 2007
  4. Hi
    This is a strange message normally on Home setting there is No relation
    between Wireless security and the status of the Sharing.
    If it is a Work Laptop that have special configuration for the Work Network
    it might happen.
    In such case it has to be dealt with with the work's IT people instructing
    the person how to create double setting/logon (if possible).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 6, 2007
  5. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    Hi Jack

    Thanks for your reply.
    At a previous job I was able to have laptops that were part of the domain
    and the users were able to use them elsewhere via wireless...
    I checked the Laptop and it has these shares:
    Admin$
    C$
    IPC$
    Print$
    Documents$

    Print$ and Documents$ I just deleted (unshared) and the user has not tested.

    I can't imagine deleting the Admin or IPC shares, but not sure about the "C"
    share, but I'm guessing it's a system share and shouldn't be deleted.

    can you shed any light on this?

    Thanks

    Kelvin

    Kelvin, Dec 7, 2007
  6. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    I totally agree that the user should secure their home network should be
    secured, and if I had control over that I'd make them.
    But that doesn't answer my question, because traveling staff will be in
    airports and hotels that aren't secure and will need access at those places
    in addition to home.

    So I still believe there is an answer for how to deal with this in a broader
    sense....

    Thanks

    Kelvin

    Kelvin, Dec 7, 2007
  7. Kelvin

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what is the EXACT error message and what is in the Event Log?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 7, 2007
  8. Kelvin

    Kelvin Guest

    I'll get the exact error messages and any event logs, but it will be Monday
    before I'll have it....

    I'll post another message Monday

    Thanks

    Kelvin