How Can I Get Hands-On XP with Networking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toasty_s, May 6, 2013.

1. toasty_s

toasty_s

I'm hoping for some tips on how to get more experience with "networking". I could read books till my heart's content (which I did a decade ago). But most of you will agree that reading the dry-as-dirt books doesn't impart knowledge anywhere near as efficiently as "doing" something. But what do I do? I work for a company and they're like, "develop a stronger understanding of networking, that would be really helpful."

So what's a good way to learn networking stuff, hands on? I mainly deal with Windows, but I have VMWare so I can virtualize other Windows OSes, builds of Linux, etc. I've even VM'd an install of pfSense which was recommended. But what can I do with it? Physical devices I'm very limited on. But I can load up the VMs if that will help.

Would setting up a Counterstrike Server on a VM and running it behind a pfSense router be useful? <-- I don't really care about actually "running" it. I just want to figure a fun way to learn networking. How can I learn more about TCP/IP or packets through doing? Doing what?

I have a lot of poweruser level experience with Windows, a fair-user level experience with Macs, and the fairest of fair experience with Linux. I also know networking, but only at a slightly deeper-than surface level. I was an MCPx4 about 12 years ago (Yes, worthless certification vs. being in the trenches).

Any tips would be incredibly helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
    toasty_s, May 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. toasty_s

Atkgn182

Sounds more like you need to try doing the Cisco CCNA cert. A couple used cisco routers and switches and you have a lab to learn networking and do you hands on labs and gain a deeper understanding of networking.

Atkgn182, Aug 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question