    Hi, I have Windows XP Pro X64, SATA. I ran an Avast scan last night and one
    of the findings was: "msi.dll - Unable to scan. CAB archive is corrupted."

    What can I do about this?

    Guest, Jun 15, 2007

  2. The *.CAB files are left on the CD/DVD after installation completes, I think
    Avast is having trouble analyzing the content from that disk, nothing save
    physical damage to the disk could corrupt your data there. The good reason
    to scan CD's is if you have compilations of more or less unknown origin,
    usually the process is lengthy, and official installation disks come with
    almost no risk, so I take those out when I make a scan.

    I would ignore this altogether.

    Tony. . .

    going.

    Tony Sperling, Jun 15, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Tony . . . thanks for responding. I didn't have any CD's or DVD's in my
    ROM drive when I ran the scan. I have installed programs/data from CD's and
    DVD's but I remove the disks as soon as the installation is complete.

    Maybe I'm reading you wrong?

    Guest, Jun 15, 2007
  4. No, I eat my words. I have CAB files on my HD's too, but I still think this
    is an issue of Avast not being able to resolve it's analysis of the file,
    which could mean that it is corrupt, but it may just trip on something
    because it's in an archived format.

    I would try and identify what app the file belongs to and whether or not you
    have that app currently installed or uninstalled, this will let you decide
    if you can delete it or copy/burn it to another medium and wipe it off the
    HD or leave it where it is. But I doubt it is serious. Avast simply fails to
    finish it's analysis of this file, and since it is an archive, you most
    likely will not need it or miss it - corrupt or not, deleted or left or
    whatever.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 15, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks . . . I'll run another scan and see what it comes up with. It listed
    the location of the files in a report after the scan. If they're that big of
    a gulp, I'd like them out of there anyway. I just reformatted my hard drive
    about a month ago so I'm surprised that this happened so fast.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2007