    it up to determine the type of memory.

    Is there any software built into the machine (Windows 98), or any free
    utilities out there, that will tell me this information?

    tomlin, Jan 27, 2004

  2. tomlin

    =Carnage= Guest

    If you are using Windows 98, it would do no good to upgrade the memory
    as 128 MB is the max that operating system can make use of. Assuming
    you are planning to upgrade to Win2k or WinXP, you can find what type of
    memory you need at this page on Dell's website:

    http://support.dell.com/upgrades/Hardware.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

    =Carnage=, Jan 27, 2004

  3. tomlin

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Please, if you are a clueless idiot, don't post. Windows 9x can run with
    up to 1 GB of physical memory. Anything past 512 megs requires a special
    setting in one of it's system files. You have absolutely no clue what you
    are talking about.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 27, 2004
  4. tomlin

    Robert Baer Guest

    BULLSHIT!
    Win98 will work with and allow one to use up to 1Gbyte of RAM.
    My MB will accept up to 3Gbytes of RAM and i have tested this.

    Robert Baer, Jan 27, 2004
  5. tomlin

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    That advice is what happens when some wanna be nerd hears something about
    RAM beyond a certain amount being uncacheable by some chipsets and equates
    that to "WIndows 98 doesn't work with more than 128 megs of RAM." At
    least, I hope that is where the false information came from, cause
    otherwise the guy just pulled a number out of his ass to look like he knew
    something.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 27, 2004
  6. tomlin

    bambam Guest

    You might like to try Aida32, a truly impressive piece of freeware-

    http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

    bambam, Jan 27, 2004
  7. tomlin

    =Carnage= Guest

    Yes, I have learned that the figure I posted was incorrect. However, I
    did not 'pull a number out of my ass' like you say. I recently read in
    Jean Andrews's "Guide to Hardware" that the maximum Win98 can address is
    128MB, and I assumed that was correct without checking other sources.
    How about next time you point out someone's error without resorting to
    name-calling, or are you too much an idiot to handle that?

    =Carnage=

    =Carnage=, Jan 27, 2004
  8. tomlin

    Thor Guest

    WRONG!

    Thor, Jan 27, 2004
  9. tomlin

    Thor Guest

    I vote for the latter, since the caching issue with the old TX/VX/ and some
    HX chipsets affected RAM in excess of 64MB not 128.

    Thor, Jan 27, 2004
  10. tomlin

    bearman Guest

    I'm running 98SE with 256MB.

    Bearman

    bearman, Jan 27, 2004
  11. And if he's talking about the vCache (or is it vFAT?) issue in Win98 I
    believe the issue affected RAM in excess of 512MB. I know of no issues
    in Win98 that relate to 128MB of RAM. Not that what I know means they
    don't exist.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 27, 2004
  12. tomlin

    George Guest

    Aida (a free utility) will do this and even read the manufacturer and model
    # of the memory if that info is available.

    George, Jan 28, 2004
  13. tomlin

    Trent© Guest

    When posting in a technical group like this, its always best to make
    statements about things that you've actually tried and
    experienced...rather than what you read. The Net is FULL of
    misinformation...as you now know.
    DeMonLag has a way with words!! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

    Trent©, Jan 28, 2004
  14. tomlin

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I don't do sugar coating. Someone does something stupid, I tell them. I
    do something stupid, I want to be told. Simple.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 28, 2004
  15. tomlin

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    The full name is Aida32, not just Aida. Easier to find via google that
    way.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 28, 2004
  16. tomlin

    bambam Guest

    Or he could just click on the link that I provided. ;o)

    bambam, Jan 28, 2004
  17. tomlin

    Robert Baer Guest

    ....and like i said, i have 1Gbyte working fine in my system.
    I only plug in the other 2Gbytes (for a total of 3Gbytes) for
    multi-million digit functions in Win2K.

    Robert Baer, Jan 28, 2004
  18. tomlin

    Robert Baer Guest