    that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
    works.
    Thanks

    warehousestudios, Jan 19, 2006

  2. warehousestudios

    Netmask Guest

    There are plenty of mp4 converters - just google MP4 TO MPEG.

    But the results will be truly terrible. DVD's have a native resolution of
    720 x 576 in PAL in NTSC slightly less. On Apple's website, they say that
    the iPod Video can support MPEG4 file formats up to 480x480 at 30 frames per
    second may movies compressed for iPOD are even smaller.

    So maybe your movies started out at 720 or 704, converted down to say 480
    and now trying to convert them back up to 704 is going to introduce so many
    digital artefacts that the results will not be good. There is also the
    possibility of the sound going out of sync etc etc. best try to download
    them again either as full DVD or at least DivX or Xvid as they do convert up
    to a viewable image, not good but quite watchable.
    Good luck..

    Netmask, Jan 19, 2006

  3. warehousestudios

    Rose Guest

    I just downloaded free trial of Super iPod Video Converter
    (http://www.bestbuyreviews.com/video-ipod-converter/) and I am doing a
    test conversion of a mpeg file to mp4. It looks really slick and may
    help those who are looking for that function as well.

    With the ability to convert multiple video formats to mp4 I think this
    one may end up to be a winner. Find the best video to iPod software
    from http://www.bestbuyreviews.com

    Rose, Jan 19, 2006
  4. warehousestudios

    Goro Guest

    IAWTP. Check out a high bitrate 480p Xvid .avi. NERO will just burn
    those fine.

    Or get a nice little DivX player and just play them natively.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 19, 2006
  5. warehousestudios

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:48:32 GMT, "Netmask"

    Don't top post - it is the sign of a newbie.
    Not if you are soing it correctly.
    Not true. DVD allows for several levels of resolution. Here some of
    the standard levels found on must DVDRs:

    Mode Hour BitRate Encode NTSC
    HQ 1 9.5Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    SP 2 5.1Mbps MPEG2 720X480
    LP 3 3.3Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    EP 4 2.5Mbps MPEG2 352X480
    SLP 6 1.7Mpbs MPEG1 352X240

    The DVD player/recorder makers are starting to put the codecs in for
    AVI/MPEG4. My ILO DVDR05 (Walmart $99) will play most. That means you
    do not have to convert anything - just burn a data disc and play it
    directly in the DVD unit.
    Try WinAvi. You can adjust the resolution to one of those above with
    the parameter "Constant Video Quality". There are 5 settings which
    correspond to the values above. I do not know if they are identical,
    but they appear to match up somewhat. You will have to play with it to
    find out what meets your needs.

    Try TotalVideoConverter too - it also has the capability to set the
    resolution, and it displays what the source file resolution is.

    Bob, Jan 19, 2006
  6. warehousestudios

    Netmask Guest

    As I read his request he wanted to convert iPOD MP4 video To DVD standard so
    he could play back on a standard normal machine. ie he downloaded from the
    Internet files suitable for the iPOD.

    The question of buying a DivX player was not remotely the issue

    My response was that the results were not going to very good. No problem the
    other way going from DVD or DivX or whatever to iPOD MP4 file - Personally I
    don't think I would want to look at a DVD to SLP6 standard upconverted from
    a mp4 file - yuk!!

    Netmask, Jan 20, 2006
  7. warehousestudios

    Allan Guest

    videohelp.com

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 20, 2006
  8. warehousestudios

    Justin Guest

    Dunno why you'd want to, it'd look pretty crappy on a bigger screen.

    Justin, Jan 20, 2006
  9. warehousestudios

    Bob Guest

    What I am saying is that your "standard normal machine" has the
    capability to play DivX MPEGs - if you get the right one.

    I have the ILO DVDR05MU1 with the latest f/w. I can play most AVIs.
    The AVI files I play are not bad in terms of resolution but they have
    a slight but noticable jump between frames. It is very subtle and
    easily overlooked unless you focus your attention on it.

    Bob, Jan 20, 2006
  10. warehousestudios

    Justin Guest

    You don't understand what a standard normal machine is, then, do you?

    Justin, Jan 20, 2006
  11. warehousestudios

    Bill's News Guest

    Bob, it seems you are disliked by some here so much that they would
    give disinformation to an OP for the sake of maligning you:-(

    To have merely instructed the OP on any of the archaic, awkward ways
    of getting to point B without having mentioned the simplest of
    contemporary approaches would have been remiss!

    I know that I'd bought one brand-name DVD player near the end of the
    last decade of the last century, and before the century ended I knew
    I'd made a silly mistake. Since then I'd not consider a DVD player
    that didn't handle ALL contemporary audio/video formats and outputs.
    And, ya know what? The hours upon hours that I've saved for having
    such has rendered them WAY less than zero cost! TV MPEG2 captures
    play without "authoring" or compliance issues, and xvid conversions
    become valid space saving efforts.

    One of the best features of such a/v components is that whatever
    quality one has in the file at hand will not be further altered by
    conversion - it just plays!

    What century is this???

    Bill's News, Jan 21, 2006
  12. warehousestudios

    c901rg Guest

    c901rg, Jan 22, 2006
  13. warehousestudios

    Netmask Guest

    he wants to go the other way - re read the first post.
    ie iPod format MP4 TO DVD

    Netmask, Jan 22, 2006
  14. warehousestudios

    Justin Guest