How can I add or remove items in the Windows JPEG open-with context menu?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tom, Jul 2, 2008.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    What is the procedure to ADD an additional item to the WinXP Home SP2 JPEG
    photo thumbnail view right-click menu, openwith submenu?

    When I open a Windows explorer window in my JPEG photo directory, my
    Windows explorer is set to View -> Thumbnails -> Arrange Icon by Name.

    When I right click on a JPEG thumbnail in Windows explorer, my OpenWith
    menu currently has only four items
    OpenWith->Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, Irfanview, Paint.Net, Paint (and
    then Choose Program).

    I'm confused how to ADD a fifth item to that right click JPEG photo windows
    context menu. (Note: I originally asked this because I was hoping to
    replace the WP&FV with that fifth program but apparently you can't get rid
    of WP&FV from the right click JPEG context menu).

    How can I add or remove items in the Windows JPEG open-with context sub
    menu?

    Tom, Jul 2, 2008

  2. Tom

    Nervous Nick Guest

    I have no idea how to remove a program from that list. It would be
    interesting to know. But I am pretty sure you can add a program to it
    thus:

    Open with>Choose program>browse

    then select your program

    Then afterward the program will appear in the Choose program window
    and you won't have to browse for it.

    It's up to you whether you want to select the "Always use this program
    to open this kind of file" option.

    HTH.

    Nervous Nick, Jul 3, 2008

  3. Tom

    Sachin Garg Guest

    The method 'Nervous Nick" mentioned is definitely the easier the way to do
    this, but there is a more powerful (and not so complicated) way which lets
    you add new items directly besides the 'open' on the right click menu.

    #. Open My Computer (or Explorer).

    #. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types

    #. Choose your file type, JPEG (Note that jpg and jpeg are two separate
    items so you might want to edit both).

    #. Click Advanced (you might have to click 'Restore' before the Advanced
    option becomes available).

    #. Click 'New' and add any number of new items which deal with your favorite
    applications, these items will appear besides the usual 'Open' and 'Open
    with' on the right click sub-menu.

    Thought you would like to not have to go into 'Open with' everytime :)

    Hope this helps,
    Sachin Garg [India]
    www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

    Sachin Garg, Jul 3, 2008
  4. Tom

    Paul Furman Guest

    That's XP or 2000.
    Vista lacks some of those simple controls.

    Paul Furman, Jul 3, 2008
  5. Tom

    Sachin Garg Guest

    It should be in there somewhere :)

    I could find 'some' of those controls in Vista under Control Panel ->
    Default Programs, it allows changing default application but doesn't has
    option to add new menu items.

    Maybe someone else can fill us on this?

    Sachin Garg, Jul 3, 2008
  6. Tom

    Vagabond Guest

    Go to start menu/run, type in regedit and press return

    Then goto:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

    Find the file extension you want to change, i.e., .jpeg and open its
    "OpenWithList". Either add a new key or delete/modify an existing key.

    Close the registry editor.
    Reboot computer.

    Done.

    Be warned, making errors while editing the registry can cause major
    headaches. Back all your data and the registry up before starting. Probably
    simpler to just set the "Always open with" option.

    Regards

    Tony

    Vagabond, Jul 3, 2008
  7. Tom

    tony cooper Guest

    The OP stated in his original posts that he is using Windows XP. I
    doubt if anyone else cares since most people are able to easily figure
    out how to do this on their own. The OP has been given several
    methods to do what he wants, and could avoid using Explorer to open
    ..jpgs for editing, but seems determined to use a method that is not
    working for him.

    tony cooper, Jul 3, 2008