How automate to setting Priority and Affinity for specific apps.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Scott Smith, Oct 13, 2007.

  1. Scott Smith

    Scott Smith Guest

    Hi Group,

    I have a very CPU intensive program((AutoCAD 2007)which is not a
    multithread app.), and I notice when I go in to Task Manager(on a Quad Core
    System) and set Priority to High and Affinity to CPU 2 and CPU 3, that I get
    better performance.

    However, currently when I change the above settings I do so each time I
    open AutoCAD. Does anyone of a way to have these assignments automated? My
    first thought was using command line switches for the icon, but I can't seem
    to find any help.

    Second question; does anyone have a link to all of the command line switches
    for non OS .exe's?

    Thanks in advance,

    Scott Smith

    Scott Smith, Oct 13, 2007

  2. Scott Smith

    John Barnes Guest

    I hope you get an answer, I have been asking for 9 months for Vista64. XP64
    sets affinity properly for me for the same processes.

    John Barnes, Oct 13, 2007

  3. Tony Sperling, Oct 14, 2007
  4. Oh, and I forgot this one:

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.wmi

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 14, 2007
  5. Hello,
    You could create a batch file using start command to set affinity.
    Then create a shortcut to that batch file and use that to start the
    application.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 17, 2007
  6. Hello,
    Meant to include the start help text for affinity:

    START ["title"] [/D path] [/I] [/MIN] [/MAX] [/SEPARATE | /SHARED]
    [/LOW | /NORMAL | /HIGH | /REALTIME | /ABOVENORMAL | /BELOWNORMAL]
    [/AFFINITY <hex affinity>] [/WAIT] [/B] [command/program]
    [parameters]

    AFFINITY The new application will have the specified processor
    affinity mask, expressed as a hexadecimal number.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 17, 2007