How an ISP can handle duplicate class C networks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sepoto, Sep 8, 2013.

1. sepoto

sepoto

I have a switch into which I have many 10.20.30.0 devices. 10.20.30.13 runs DHCP. I also have two routers plugged in on 192.168.1.1 DHCP on with WAN into the switch and the other on 192.168.2.1 DHCP on with WAN into the switch. Both function fine. There seems to be a grey area on if I could set both routers to 192.168.1.1. Some say yes if they are on "different floors" I take this to mean that they would have to be on different switches? Some say no it can't be done. Some say sometimes it will work with both routers on 192.168.1.1 and sometimes not.

This leads me to my question which is an Internet Service Provider has probably 50 different customers all with their DSL routers set to the same private ip of 192.168.1.1 which is so common. Why is not OK for me to use two 192.168.1.1's but it's OK for an internet service provider to use 192.168.1.1 for 50 different customers? Do they have different hardware than I do or what technologies might they employ to use route traffic to the same private range on so many different networks.

Thanks in advance...

sepoto, Sep 8, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question