    Sorry for the extremely broad question. I'll re post this in "security" if
    you think that's more appropriate.
    Thanks.

    Guest, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Hi

    I doubt that there is a utility that let you connect to your Wireless at
    home and to one specific HotSpot and block others HotSopts.

    Check your preference settings in the Windows Zero configuration and make
    sure that it set to connect to any available Wireless Network.

    If your security is enabled you can connect only to the Wireless network
    that has the same security parameters, i.e. you own home network.

    If the security is disabled you can connect to a Public HotSpots that is not
    secured.

    Any other connection would need to obtain the security parameters from the
    owner. I.e. the other HotSpot that you are trying to connected to might be
    secured.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 9, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the response Jack.

    That's what is so odd about this situation. I can connect at home and at
    this one chain of HS's, but not at others anymore. Any open connection should
    work...?

    I can see the networks and even show a "Status: Connected", but I can't
    actually get access to the net at these other HS's anymore even though I'm
    "connected" to their network. It really does look like a firewall issue. The
    access point and my wireless card must be handshaking OK, but then I can't
    get past that point.

    The connection doesn't seem to be the problem, it's the sending and
    receiving of data that's blocked. That's why I say it looks like a firewall
    issue, but can't be because I've disabled the FW to test that.

    If I can conect, why can't I actually access the net? Something is allowing
    connection, but blocking communication.

    Thanks for any ideas....

    Guest, Jul 9, 2006
  4. Sounds to me like you just need to right click your wireless icon when at
    the HS that you cannot connect to and "repair". If the HS you are now at is
    one that lets you on and not one that blocks you out, you should be OK. You
    might also check the settings for your tcp/ip in case an IP number and DNS
    IPs somehow were put in there.
    You can CONNECT to a signal and not really be on the network, too.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 9, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Diamontina,

    It never occurred to me to try to repair the connection since I didn't think
    that was the issue. I'll give that a try.

    Thanks.

    Guest, Jul 9, 2006