    This is not a sudden rush of spam coming in, but is downloading my existing
    inbox messages again.

    Thanks for any advice in stopping this excessive download coming in.

    johngood_____, Dec 17, 2007

  2. How long has it been accumulating these thousand messages?
    Log in to the web interface and delete the obvious spam. Log back out,
    then start Outlook Distress and download the rest (the good mail).

    OE is known for getting itself stuffed up if there is a mail with
    malformed headers. It just stops, and of course won't tell the server it
    has already downloaded what it had.

    Modern email clients don't have this problem. Consider upgrading to
    Thunderbird.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 17, 2007

  3. johngood_____

    Elmo Guest

    In Tools, Accounts, open the Properties of the Hotmail account, click
    the Advanced tab, deselect "Leave a copy of messages on server".

    If that doesn't help, try an OE newsgroups, or Hotmail support.

    Elmo, Dec 17, 2007
  4. Thanks. Went to the web interface as you suggested, and it shows no new
    mails of any kind coming in at all. Any further ideas please?

    johngood_____, Dec 17, 2007
  5. johngood_____

    Mike Easter Guest

    read in 24hshd, replied in 24hshd only

    How many email accounts do you have -- seen in OE/ Tools menu/ Accounts
    item/ Mail tab
    If you use send/receive without using its menu OE/ Tools menu/ Send and
    Receive item/ Menu for send all, receive all, + all the mail accounts -
    then you are going to receive mail from all of the accounts which you
    have enabled in each account's General tab - include this account when
    receiving mail or synchronizing.
    What do you mean 'existing inbox messages'? Where are there existing
    inbox messages? Do you mean duplicates of messages in your OE inbox or
    do you mean you have an inbox at some mail account which is not being
    'emptied' (downloaded and deleted) by the transaction between your OE
    and your mail account.

    You went to the hotmail web interface which showed no /new/ mails. Did
    it show any items at all in the hotmail inbox, old or new, read or
    unread? Are there any other mail accounts?

    Mike Easter, Dec 17, 2007
  6. Thanks to all. i've found a right click on the inbox folder > properties
    bodies)* to *new messages (headers and bodies)* seems to have done the
    trick.

    There is a third option *new headers*. What would be the difference be
    between choosing that and the one i changed to; *new messages (headers and
    bodies), please?

    johngood_____, Dec 17, 2007
  7. johngood_____

    Elmo Guest

    It possibly wouldn't download (synchronize) the body of the message till
    you opened the message.

    Elmo, Dec 17, 2007
  8. johngood_____

    PA Bear Guest