Hot Weather effect on Digital Cameras...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jamie Dolan, Jul 16, 2006.

  1. Jamie Dolan

    Jamie Dolan Guest

    HI,

    As we get into the warmest part of summer, a question has entered my mind
    more and more...

    To what point is it safe to have your camera gear in the car in the summer
    months?

    On recent day trips, I have left my camera at home, for fear of damage to it
    when I would need to leave it in the car for periods of time. For example,
    today, we went to the beach. I would have like to have had my camera with
    and would have used it, but then it would have sat in the closed up car for
    2 hours while we were in the water. It was around 100 today. Normally it
    is not quite this hot here.

    How do you protect your camera, and where do you draw the line, and not
    bring your camera with you, due to possiable heat damage?

    Thanks

    Jamie

    Jamie Dolan, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Jamie Dolan

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Well since your car can get hot enough to kill a human I wouldn't go leaving
    my camera in it. Otherwise you might as well take it in the house and pop it
    in the oven at 200 degrees.

    Also, the warmer it is the more noise you will have. CCD's hate heat. But,
    that is just from hot summer days out side.

    Hebee Jeebes, Jul 16, 2006

  3. I put my 5D in a cooler. That keeps it from getting hot.

    No ice, just the cooler.

    Scott in Florida, Jul 16, 2006
  4. Jamie Dolan

    Helen Guest

    If you would have had it with you, and would have used it, then it doesn't
    really make sense when you say it would have sat in the car, does it?

    Helen, Jul 16, 2006
  5. Jamie Dolan

    Mxsmanic Guest

    You should never leave camera gear in your car in warm weather. The
    car gets much hotter than the ambient outside temperature.
    That's the smart thing to do.
    Don't leave the camera in the car in weather like that.

    Remember also that cameras and beaches don't go together well, except
    for models that are specifically designed for water and sand
    resistance.
    If I cannot carry the camera with me all the time, I don't bring it at
    all. This prevents it from being stolen, and diminshes the risk of it
    being damaged by environmental extremes. I never take cameras to the
    beach or into other wet or dusty environments.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 16, 2006
  6. Jamie Dolan

    Mxsmanic Guest

    You can't bring it with you into the water, but you might want to take
    pictures after coming out of the water.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Jamie Dolan

    Ben Brugman Guest

    A car can get very hot, so I would not want my camera in the hottest
    place in a car. Although I think a camera can have some temperature,
    better safe than be sorry.
    But there are cooler places in the car as wel. You could use a cooler
    for example. But also the bottom of the trunc of a car can stay a lot
    cooler that the hottest places. I have had my car in the sun on a hot
    day and had some stuf in the bottom of the trunc, well covered with
    other stuf. A minimum/maximum termometer gave a temperature of
    28 degrees celcius as maximum for the day in the sun. This is a
    totaly acceptable temperature for equipment.
    (The heating up was about 8 degrees for about 8 hours, so it went
    up about 1 degree for each our.)
    Notice that the trunc was loaded with all our holiday gear, so that
    provided some insulation.
    Keeping my films fresh in the summer I used too keep them in the
    middle of my cloating or in the middle of a sleeping bag. Then the
    heating up was far less than in the open.

    ben

    Ben Brugman, Jul 16, 2006
  8. Jamie Dolan

    Jamie Dolan Guest

    and would have used it, but then it would have sat in the closed up car
    "would have used it, but then it would have sat in the closed up car for 2
    hours while we were in the water."

    I don't have one of thoes cool waterproof kits, so I know that I cant take
    it swiming it with me... We take day trips to parks every couple weeks or
    so, and we do some sight seeing, and I would like to take photo while we are
    sight seeing and of the people on the beach. Then we usally go swiming for
    a hour or two before we leave. Most of the time we are at a somewhat busy
    park, and I can't just leave my gear sitting somewhere on the beach while we
    swim...

    Jamie Dolan, Jul 16, 2006
  9. Jamie Dolan

    Jamie Dolan Guest

    If I cannot carry the camera with me all the time, I don't bring it at
    I am sure that this is the very best and safetest policy. I have taken my
    camera to the beach when we are not swiming, and I have had a lot of fun
    taking photos.

    http://www.pixagogo.com/S5LaMqXOKRm...wJmbYq!Vp8AZsb6EavvnqJ79HXw!w-M_/IMG_7494.JPG

    http://www.pixagogo.com/S5LaMqXOKRm...XuNtnss!22TH-6mF6ipvH2c9ZOVjwV0_/IMG_7475.JPG

    http://www.pixagogo.com/S54SWlI2-xT...1zEEtBS5wDUY46R!0-MnoAxGqBAtDXtj/IMG_6941.JPG

    http://www.pixagogo.com/S54SWlI2-xT...p2OMFDxTrPDsLu-Ik6xzbyeyUVTpJHjY/IMG_7283.JPG

    Jamie Dolan, Jul 16, 2006
  10. Jamie Dolan

    Jamie Dolan Guest

    Thanks for the idea. I do have one of thoes thermometers right next to my
    bed that tells me the tempature and humidity. It also have the minium and
    maxium. So I could eaisly test it in my car and see what results I get my
    my car and what level of insulation / coverings I need to keep stuff a bit
    cooler. or I can use it to check the tempature in a cooler. I would throw
    a small ice block of ice into the cooler, but I would be concerned about
    condensation...

    Jamie

    Jamie Dolan, Jul 16, 2006
  11. Jamie Dolan

    Paul J Gans Guest

    It isn't that bad. The temperature at a beach is usually
    less than the temperature inland.

    The problem at the beach is sunlight beating down on a dark
    colored camera creating "car" like conditions for anything
    inside such as the battery, circuitry, and sensor.

    But if you, for example, keep it in a light-colored canvas
    bag, even if the bag is out in the sun, the camera will not
    get noticably warm.

    As for sand, a little bit of care should fix that.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jul 17, 2006
  12. : Thanks for the idea. I do have one of thoes thermometers right next to
    : my bed that tells me the tempature and humidity. It also have the
    : minium and maxium. So I could eaisly test it in my car and see what
    : results I get my my car and what level of insulation / coverings I need
    : to keep stuff a bit cooler. or I can use it to check the tempature in
    : a cooler. I would throw a small ice block of ice into the cooler, but
    : I would be concerned about condensation...

    No need for ice. You are not needing to refrigerate your camera, just keep
    the high temps from the camera. So if you put the camera in an insulated
    container (such as a small cooler) while the ambient air temp is at a
    level comfortable to human skin, and then seal it up, that air temp will
    be trapped inside the cooler. The insulation will resist the change in
    temp long enough that the solar heating of the car will not drasticly
    change the temp inside the cooler for a much longer period of time (like
    all day). One thought tho, you may want to either put something over the
    cooler or place it out of the direct sunlight as the sun could cause the
    cooler case to heat which can then be conducted inside and could even
    damage the cooler itself. I once had a small empty cooler that was dark
    red in color that was left in the sun in a car. It got hot enough to warp
    the plastic lid. But even something as simple as a light colored towel can
    make all the difference.

    One other advantage of storing your camera in a cooler, under a towel, on
    the floor of the front seat of the car, is that it will be less noticable.
    You don't want to inspire some less than honorable person to break into
    your car to get at your camera.

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL