    For anyone using IE7 beta, it will only download 13.7mb of the iso. I had to
    use Firefox to get the download. Unfortunately IE7 would not work proberly
    with IE6 so it was removed during IE7 install.

    Guest, Jun 9, 2006

  2. I was using IE6.0, and displayed this figure as well, so that is not the
    real problem. Perhaps a general IE problem?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Guest

    bunzer Guest

    I had the same trouble. What I ended up doing is installing a free
    trial download manager from ZDNet, installing it, then selecting one of
    the links on the right for "use own download manager". Worked like a
    champ!

    bunzer, Jun 9, 2006
  4. O.K. - this is what failed on me! :0o

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    You just have to be lucky. My downloader has spent hours getting server
    busy messages every minute. I should get the dvd before I could download it
    anyway, due to the satellite FAP which restricts me to basically 1/3g per
    day. Hope, since I got my order placed early, arrives in the 2 wk time
    frame given.

    John Barnes, Jun 9, 2006
  6. FWIW...I had a similar situation with office beta 12 a few weeks ago so
    I ordered the DVD on the first day of release. I was surprised when it
    arrived 4 days later. MS said 2 - 4 weeks for delivery.

    PP

    Phoney Persona, Jun 10, 2006
  7. Well, a small consolation perhaps, but when you see it I bet you see roughly
    the same amount of disppointment as exhilleration. In the short time I spent
    with it I found several things of the sort I liked but that you'd expect
    from a new edition, and several of the sort I disliked because it is a
    further step towards sheilding the user away from the system, so we'll
    slowly end up with users that incresingly become stupified and dependent
    upon buying support, in one form or another.

    On the other hand it may just be me that is turning into an old and grumpy
    man, but you can wait a few weeks, I'm sure. Much more exciting is the
    development in the Linux world, if you have a spare machine (64bit) I'd
    suggest you take a look at Suse10.1 - that one certainly has it's own
    shortcomings but Novell has the power and the will to race with MS, that's
    for sure.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 10, 2006
  8. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Great to hear. I had similar results with x64 beta. My order date was
    June 7, so hopefully early next week.

    John Barnes, Jun 10, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I ended up installing firefox and having another go with it, and I got
    through the busy message, perhaps here was something with ie7? Anyway, I have
    begun the download now, I just had to transfer it from firefox to Free
    Downloader and it's away. However I have to wait for off peak times (midnight
    to 7.00am GMT +8) as I am alreay "shaped" by my isp provider during peak
    times. I got about 78% now at around 950kb, if I try when shaped.............
    forget it, a 4 gb download would only take about a week.
    I have just tried Suse10.1, and came away a little disppointed, perhaps I
    should have used the 32 bit version? However, having read other reviews it
    sounds a little like they used the 10.1 as a testing ground for a few things,
    so I'm sure it will get better.
    But really I am just treading water waiting for the coming SLED 10(Suse
    Linux Enterprise Desktop). Some say this will be a direct competitor to
    vista, so it will be interesting to see what all the fuss is about with
    vista, it's been a long time 'between drinks' as far as os upgrades are
    concerned for ms users.
    I am normally a Linux user, but have come back to MS because I am attempting
    to get some certification for it.
    Cheers.

    Guest, Jun 10, 2006