Hot swapping SATA in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Other Guy, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have a hot swap SATA drive bay, and a Silicon Image SATA RAID controller
    that also supports hot swapping.

    How can I tell Windows 2000 that I am finished with the disk to allow me to
    swap disks, and then make it see the replaced disk?

    Is there anything like the unplugging icon that appears for USB Mass Storage
    devices?

    I can use mountvol to dismount the volume, which I assume will flush the
    cache, but using it to mount the new disk resulted in the system becoming
    unresponsive. Using Disk Management to re-assign a new drive letter, the new
    disk showed in Explorer with the old directory structure.

    Any suggestions short of using USB or IEEE1394? (Neither of which I wish to
    use)

    Windows 2000, SP 4.

    Thanks,

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 18, 2003

  2. The Other Guy

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <3fe148eb$1@slave>, says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a hot swap SATA drive bay, and a Silicon Image SATA RAID controller
    > that also supports hot swapping.
    >
    > How can I tell Windows 2000 that I am finished with the disk to allow me to
    > swap disks, and then make it see the replaced disk?
    >
    > Is there anything like the unplugging icon that appears for USB Mass Storage
    > devices?
    >
    > I can use mountvol to dismount the volume, which I assume will flush the
    > cache, but using it to mount the new disk resulted in the system becoming
    > unresponsive. Using Disk Management to re-assign a new drive letter, the new
    > disk showed in Explorer with the old directory structure.
    >
    > Any suggestions short of using USB or IEEE1394? (Neither of which I wish to
    > use)
    >
    > Windows 2000, SP 4.

    Sorry don't know much about your setup (USB SATA drives are they?) - but
    in a normal hardware RAID array - the way I disconnect the drives (for
    testing the RAID array) - is just pull one of the bastards out.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Dec 18, 2003

  3. In article <3fe148eb$1@slave>, "The Other Guy" <> wrote:
    *SNIP*
    >How can I tell Windows 2000 that I am finished with the disk to allow me to
    >swap disks, and then make it see the replaced disk?

    *SNIP*
    >I can use mountvol to dismount the volume, which I assume will flush the
    >cache

    *SNIP*

    Once you've done that and installed the new disk, go into Device
    Manager, right-click on "Disk drives" and choose "Scan for changes".
    That will update the list of devices which are currently running.

    Have you tried looking on the MS Technet website?
    http://technet.microsoft.com. This question will almost certainly be
    answered there.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Dec 18, 2003
  4. "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3fe148eb$1@slave>, "The Other Guy" <> wrote:
    > *SNIP*
    > >How can I tell Windows 2000 that I am finished with the disk to allow me

    > >swap disks, and then make it see the replaced disk?
    > >

    > *SNIP*
    > >I can use mountvol to dismount the volume, which I assume will flush the
    > >cache

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > Once you've done that and installed the new disk, go into Device
    > Manager, right-click on "Disk drives" and choose "Scan for changes".
    > That will update the list of devices which are currently running.
    >
    > Have you tried looking on the MS Technet website?
    > http://technet.microsoft.com. This question will almost certainly be
    > answered there.

    The TechNet information applies mainly to Windows 2000 Server and later
    versions of Windows (XP and 2003 Server).

    As per one article, I scan for changes twice, first to determine the drive
    has been removed, and then to find the new device (As they are on the same
    SATA channel).

    When the disk is removed, it always says it was an unsafe removal, even
    after using mountvol to remove it. So there must be another step I am
    missing.

    Also, it is apparently rescanning the entire system for new hardware, is
    there any way to limit it to just drives, or any software to automate the
    process?

    Thanks,

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 23, 2003