    only comes active when the first fails ?

    thanks in advance
    Paul

    Paul Hardy, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Paul Hardy

    nobody Guest

    You could use the backup command.

    int F0/0
    ip addr 10.0.0.1
    backup int F0/1
    !
    int F0/1
    ip addr 10.0.0.1

    This would put F0/1 in what is essentialy admin down, until F0/0 goes
    down.

    Another option is a BVI interface.

    bridge 1 protocol ieee
    !
    int F0/0
    bridge-group 1
    !
    int F0/1
    bridge-group 1
    !
    int BVI 1
    ip address 10.0.0.1

    Just make sure both are connected to a switch that does spanning tree.

    -Tim

    nobody, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Pedro Gil Morales, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Paul Hardy

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    I really do not understand why do you think that you need a Catalyst
    switch to use HSRP? It should work using any switch or hub.

    --Ivan.

    Ivan Ostres, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Paul Hardy

    Hansang Bae Guest

    That's the problem with using Ethernet ports in backup mode. How often
    does the Ethernet port go up/down or down/down? Not too often.

    This is a kludge. Don't use BVI since if you do, performance numbers
    can go down.

    If you want redundancy (though in this case, the WAN link is going to be
    your #1 guy to worry about), you can use multiple /30 point to point
    ethernet configurations and letting routing decide the best route.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jun 7, 2004