    Abrasha Guest

    What is the difference between a hot pixel and a stuck pixel?

    IOW, what exactly is a hot pixel, and what exactly is a stuck pixel?

    Abrasha, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Abrasha

    Dale Hudjik Guest

    A stuck pixel is "broken" and always gives the "wrong" value. With some
    cameras these can be mapped out so that they will not significantly
    affect the quality of the picture.

    Hot pixels usually only happen with longer exposures and are, among
    other things, related to the temperature of the camera. They will look
    like little random spots all over the picture. Some cameras have a noise
    reduction setting that will remove them.

    Regards,
    Dale
    http://members.shaw.ca/dale.hudjik/

    Dale Hudjik, Aug 2, 2003

  3. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    Not covered in my manual. And I am sure it is not covered in your manual
    either.
    I did. The answers I got were overly long and not conclusive.
    I had found that one too after I had posted the question. This site also talks
    about "dead" pixels.

    Here are the answers to my question, for others who also did not know.

    Stuck pixel = a pixel that always reads high (maximum) on all exposures.
    Hot pixel = a pixel that reads high on longer exposures.
    Dead pixel = a pixel that reads zero (black) on all exposures.

    Abrasha, Aug 2, 2003
  4. Abrasha

    Don Stauffer Guest

    There is no official certified 'dictionary of digital photography', so
    one can only talk about what appears to be consensus definitions.

    To me, a dead pixel means one that always reports a low value (very
    dark, near zero), a hot pixel one that always reports bright (near
    255). A stuck pixel is, to me, one that reports some medium or midrange
    brightness value, say 128.

    In all these cases, the pixels report these values irrespective of what
    the original scene was.

    Don Stauffer, Aug 2, 2003
  5. No, but astronomers have. Look at the price ranges for astro CCDs for
    given defect ranges, hundreds of thousands of dollars difference *per
    unit*. Money talks :)

    A `dead pixel' is one that does not respond to any changes. Or has
    very, very little.

    A `Hot pixel' can be either one with anomalously high response, or
    more often, one that has a very high dark current. The fist was very
    rare, but with anti-blooming CCDs or CMOS it is now less rare.

    `Stuck' pixels are even rarer, but with CMOS may become less so.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    Paul Repacholi, Aug 3, 2003
  6. OK.. got that.

    Then..

    I have a Nikon D100 which appears to have about 8 'Hot pixels' that show up
    as red or blue dots on exposures of over a second. If I send it back to
    Nikon are they going to just tell my camera to ignore those spots via the
    firmware or are they going to replace the ccd.

    Bearing in mind I've only had the camera a week, and also am I libel to get
    more hot spots develop over time.

    regards

    steve

    Steven Buglass, Sep 2, 2003