Hosts file

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ~BD~, Apr 30, 2009.

  1. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    http://techblissonline.com/make-hosts-file-in-windows-read-only/

    David H Lipman has said elsewhere
    "changing the attribute of the file to Read-Only is worthless.

    What do others reading here think about the article at the link?

    I've checked my own Hosts file and this is what I found:-

    Unknown-00-23-12-24-26-b4:~ david******$ cd /etc
    Unknown-00-23-12-24-26-b4:etc david******$ cat hosts
    ##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost
    Unknown-00-23-12-24-26-b4:etc david******$

    Is this what I should have expected to see (my *'s btw!)

    I'm unsure about ::1 and fe80::1%1o0

    Please can you tell me what they mean? Thanks.

    ~BD~, Apr 30, 2009

  2. ~BD~

    Leythos Guest

    If you are running as an ADMIN on your local computer, a read-only
    attribute will only stop stupid malware, it won't stop anything that
    actually is coded to modify the host file that knows about a simple
    thing like changing it to NOT READ-ONLY.

    If you can change the status so can the malware.

    Leythos, Apr 30, 2009

  3. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Many thanks for the responses from Leythos, DHL and Guy

    I've learnt from this - perhaps others will too.

    Cheers! :)

    ~BD~, Apr 30, 2009
  4. ~BD~

    Todd H. Guest

    BoaterDave,

    I've followed David Lipman's posts here for a few years. I trust his
    multi-av.exe and his answers. He has never struck me as a bad guy.

    There are a variety of reasons people like to post semi-anonymously,
    myself included. And there are a myriad of reasons people posting
    round usenet would rather not divulge where their paycheck comes
    from (or in your case ones full name).

    So, in short, I don't see why DL has drawn your ire. Best I can tell
    he's a helpful guy who's devoted lots of hours to answering people's
    questions for free.

    Todd H., May 1, 2009
  5. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Thank you for your response. It reminded me of another thread - which
    Google helped me find, with more history of your fights, here:
    http://forums.techarena.in/security-home-users/1022277.htm

    Others reading here might - just possibly - understand that not everyone
    will blindly accept whatever unknown 'advisers' here on the Wild, Wild,
    Web may tell them. Indeed, I recall that it was Leythos who once advised
    me to trust NO-ONE - not even himself!!

    Remember, it was *you* that once sent me, by email, a link to the most
    disgusting and bizarre photographs - which you purported were sent by
    PCButts to folk who upset him/her. That act did not fill me with trust,
    David - you knew I'd follow the link and look, didn't you?

    Details of OPSEC may be found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_security

    If the organisation you represent is involved in subterfuge, perhaps you
    shouldn't be posting here at all!

    I like to *know* my enemy - are you friend or foe, David?

    ~BD~, May 1, 2009
  6. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    I appreciate your comments, Todd. Thanks for posting.

    I seek not 'personal' information or actual employer name - he could
    have responded when first I asked (a year or three ago now) that he
    works for ..... an anti-virus vendor, a Government agency, an
    electronics company etc - but he's always expecting folk to blindly
    accept what he says without knowing *anything* about him.

    At least I know *you* like bunnies (even though I cannot watch your
    video clips!)

    ~BD~, May 1, 2009
  7. ~BD~

    Leythos Guest

    PCBUTTS1 has posted those links himself, they are Usenet History and
    everyone in the community will tell you about them and how sick they
    are.

    If David sent you those links, it was to prove to you that you should
    not trust ANYTHING from PCBUTTS or his many impersonations or socks.

    I personally have discussed many things with David, and I personally
    trust him and vouch for his honor and integrity - you are barking up the
    wrong tree to suspect anything other than honorable from him.

    The person you need to distrust is your new Friend, pcbutts.

    Leythos, May 1, 2009
  8. ~BD~

    Leythos Guest

    Wrong again BD, not one of us expects you or anyone else reading this
    thread/group/usenet to "Blindly" follow anything, certainly not any of
    the respected members of Security groups - we all expect you, if you
    have half a brain, to research the posts and do what you find to be
    best.

    You do understand that PCBUTTS has posted as David, myself, and many
    others over the years and that he's been very nasty during those
    impersonations. It is possible that you could have fallen for one of
    PCBUTTS's many impersonations....

    Learn to read and comprehend Usenet Headers, then start tracking headers
    of people/posts you believe are suspicious - you will find that BUTTS
    slips up many times over the years and outs himself by his headers.

    Leythos, May 1, 2009
  9. The contents of that link you posted is a bunch of BS. Don't you think with
    all the BS trolling and lies they have been saying about me for the past 4
    years that if there were "markers" in my software they would have posted
    them just to prove those lies. They can't because there are no markers.
    There is however markers that I placed in my software to prove that it was
    stolen from me and they are still there. I have posted them many times but
    of course the trolls ignore it and never respond. section s601b in the
    stolen code from here http://www.internetinspiration.co.uk/roguefix.htm is
    completely bogus and was put there by me. David made up that marker bit
    after I posted the truth.

    your time.

    The Real Truth [MS MVP], May 1, 2009
  10. edited out
    The only disgusting things I personally have heard/witnessed in this
    group are the constant referrings to PCButts and his links to child
    pronography - without a single iota of proof, except for some dead-
    end URLs which point to nothing. It is clear to me that many of the
    detractors of PCButts are extremely sick individuals who spout filth
    at an "accepted" hate figure. Much of this is your doing without you
    having a shred of evidence - except the filthy posts of your own
    associates, and empty URLs.

    Non scrivetemi, May 1, 2009
  11. You want some proof? View these pages at his own site quick before he
    realizes he still has them there. The first is one of the pages where he
    added me to, just after I outed him about some more software he stole
    from the original author. Note the filename is my initials.

    ** WARNING: THESE PAGES ARE FILTHY! **
    <http://pcbutts1. com/downloads/bts.htm>
    <http://pcbutts1. com/downloads/2.jpg>
    <http://pcbutts1. com/downloads/3.jpg>
    <http://pcbutts1. com/downloads/pumpkin-butt.jpg>
    [space inserted to prevent accidental clicking]

    I would not class them as *child* pornography, as it seemed they are
    just gross (really gross) adult pictures. Notice that Butts seems to
    really like "butts."

    I did notice even the Wayback Machine has purged all storage of his
    filth.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 1, 2009
  12. Dead-end links leading to empty URLS, as usual.

    Non scrivetemi, May 1, 2009
  13. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    As always, I value your comments Leythos.

    My *real* nemesis goes by the name of Peter Foldes - he has made many
    slips too!

    I've tried hard to "read and comprehend Usenet Headers" but now know
    that *they* cannot be trusted either!

    It's a game!

    ~BD~, May 1, 2009
  14. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    That is *really* good to know ........ but just who is/are "We"?

    I know, I know .... you cannot say etc.,etc!

    Readers here just have to trust you, eh? Blind faith.

    Well - you are in luck today - because I *do* have faith!

    If you really are in a position of power and influence - and PCButts
    *is* as bad as you say he is - simply have him *removed* from this
    place. Possible? Of course it is.

    ~BD~, May 1, 2009
  15. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You are so full of it. Did you *not* see "[space inserted ...]" ?
    Copy the links to your browser and remove the space.

    You must be a Buttface sock puppet.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 1, 2009
  16. ~BD~

    Leythos Guest

    The URL's were posted by BUTTS, from his own website, and he bragged
    about the content that HE stated HE created.

    If you're not smart enough to use a google archive search to find them
    then it shows that you're not really interested in the truth.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)
    Public Service Warning: Learn about PCButts before you trust:

    Leythos, May 1, 2009
  17. ~BD~

    Leythos Guest

    That would actually violate the Constitution that most of us support and
    defend. Butts is a nasty person, he's unethical, and much of what he
    does is illegal, but there is a limit to what can be done until much
    money is invested in legal action. Due to the cost of the products -
    meaning that they are FREE, it's about impossible to build enough funds
    to start a legal action. This doesn't mean that funds have not been
    spent to validate the communities intelligence on him.

    Leythos, May 1, 2009
  18. To prove to Non scrivetemi that you *do* have filthy web pages. Why
    else?
    A person with your mental illness can't be shamed, and that is a shame.
    ...all the while proving how worthless you are.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 1, 2009
  19. http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/ngtrolls.htm .Missing The Point - Trolls
    rarely answer a direct question - they cannot, if asked to justify their
    twaddle - so they develop a fine line in missing the point.

    your time.

    The Real Truth [MS MVP], May 1, 2009
  20. ~BD~

    Sam Guest

    I agree 100% with you.

    I am sick and tired of those in this group who think they are the
    elite and dump their sniveling crap in here day after day.

    Sam, May 1, 2009