    Even if it works you might end up introducing a security bridge to the
    Network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 22, 2008

  2. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Alex Y Wang Guest

    Hi, I've just joined a new company and the internet connection for me
    is not ready yet (there's not enough sockets!) I've got a friend whose
    laptop has both WiFi and ethernet so I've been thinking if I could
    configure his machine to be a host so that I can share his internet
    connection. However, the IP address of his machine is an allocated
    static IP address and whenever I attempt to switch on the ICS on his
    machine there's a dialog telling me that the IP address of his machine
    will be changed to 192.168.0.1 and the internet connection might be
    lost. My machine is already connected with his through WiFi, I just
    cannot share the internet connection, is there a way out? Please help!
    I can hardly survive without internet!

    Alex Y Wang, Jun 22, 2008

  3. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Lem Guest

    If you are describing a situation where one person in an office is
    connected to the company network and you want to have him share that
    connection with you wirelessly, that's a good way to get both of you fired.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jun 22, 2008
  4. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    James Egan Guest

    Whether or not you can change the ics ip address being used depends on
    which version of windows the host is running.

    You will probably be better off running something like the free proxy
    from analogx
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

    Jim.

    James Egan, Jun 23, 2008
  5. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Alex Y Wang Guest

    Thanks for the reply. The host machine is running xp sp3. Can I get
    around it using proxy server?

    Alex Y Wang, Jun 23, 2008
  6. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Alex Y Wang, Jun 23, 2008
  7. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    Alex Y Wang, Jun 23, 2008
  8. Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

    James Egan Guest

    Yes. Run the proxy on the host and configure the apps on your computer
    to use the proxy at the specified local ip address and port.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Jun 24, 2008