    tried numerous settings inclduding white balancing and still can not
    get clean blacks. any info greatly appreciated.

    videocamer

    videocamera, Jan 27, 2007

  2. videocamera

    Cgiorgio Guest

    I never handled a D1, but why don't you just manipulate the gamma curve in
    post processing ( offset the base a bit to the right). White balancing will
    mainly affect highlights but not the dark areas. Most image editors allow
    you to do that and many allow per color channel corrections as well.

    Cgiorgio, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Are you sure you are not using Tiffen filters (they quickly self-fog)
    and that your lenses are clean. Either can destroy blacks... Look also
    for fungus or oil inside the lens or (MANY) scratches on the surfaces
    of the lens. Also, you may be slightly overexposing - but you can
    bring the dark tones down in the photo editor, as the other poster
    suggested. I tried a D1X (as have MANY others) without finding
    this a problem...
    --DR

    David Ruether, Jan 28, 2007
  4. videocamera

    videocamera Guest

    thanks for the advice. i'll give it a try, but sure wish I could get
    clean pictures before post; oh well - the wonderful world of digital
    photography!

    videocamera, Jan 29, 2007
  5. I assume you are saying this based upon what you view on your PC. Is your
    monitor calibrated and are your viewing the images in a color managed
    application using the appropriate profile for your monitor?

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 29, 2007
  6. How are you processing the images, and what kind of a display are
    you referring to?

    It sounds like you are looking at the images with a poorly adjusted
    monitor...

    Floyd L. Davidson, Jan 29, 2007