    Rob Morley Guest

    Yes, Roger does his best to act like a human being, but he is actually
    pond scum and should be treated as such.

    Rob Morley, Nov 9, 2009

  2. Swarfmaker

    Cameo Guest

    This brings up something I've been wondering before venturing into the
    purchase of a pair of HomePlug ethernet adapters. How do I determine if
    two electrical sockets are on the same phase or not? Is there some
    inexpensive instrument one could buy, say at Radio Shack, to determine
    that? Buying a HomePlug kit without knowing it is an expensive gamble.

    Cameo, Jan 3, 2010

  3. Swarfmaker

    Bernard Peek Guest

    I'm not sure about elsewhere but it's almost unknown for a UK domestic
    dwelling to use more than one phase. If it does it will probably be a
    separate supply to a workshop using heavy machinery.

    Is there some
    If you buy by mail-order the distance-selling regulations allow you to
    return the goods. Most high-street retailers have a no-quibble
    guarantee, typically 7 or 14 days.

    Bernard Peek, Jan 3, 2010
  4. Swarfmaker

    Rob Morley Guest

    After you've had a look at them, not after you've used them and
    changed your mind.

    Rob Morley, Jan 3, 2010
  5. Swarfmaker

    Bernard Peek Guest

    See http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

    The buyer has the option to cancel the sales contract for up to seven
    working days after they have received the goods, and don't have to give
    any reason for doing so. If the seller fails to comply with the distance
    selling regulations by failing to provide certain specified information
    this is extended to three months.

    If the goods fail to work then these time limits do not apply because
    the goods can be returned under a different law.

    Bernard Peek, Jan 3, 2010
  6. Swarfmaker

    Rob Morley Guest

    DSR is intended only to give the purchaser the same opportunity to
    inspect goods that he would have if he were buying in person from a
    shop - it's not a catch-all try-before-you-buy money-back guarantee.
    Sale of Goods Act.

    Rob Morley, Jan 3, 2010
  7. Swarfmaker

    Cameo Guest

    To tell you, I have no idea. I just brought this up because several
    other posters mentioned that the HomePlug devices did not work across
    phases. That implied to me that it was not unusual to have 3-phase lines
    in homes.
    I don't see anything like that. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I
    live in the US, so electric standards of other countries don't
    necessarily apply.
    That doesn't sound like you live in the US. Here one phase voltage is
    120 V, making the phase-to-phase to phase around 220 V, no?

    Cameo, Jan 3, 2010
  8. Swarfmaker

    Bernard Peek Guest

    Not working across phases is a feature not a bug. In the UK its normal
    for the three phases to be used in rotation as you move along the
    street. So the house next-door will use a different phase and so won't
    be able to eavesdrop. I've heard reports of houses three doors away
    being able to intercept traffic but that's definitely not consistent. In
    any case these devices invariably encrypt traffic.
    [...]
    I understand that its more common to use two phases in the US. If you
    have a 220v socket that's how its done.

    Bernard Peek, Jan 3, 2010
  9. Swarfmaker

    Bernard Peek Guest

    Whatever its intentions it does give a mail-order customer seven working
    days to cancel the contract without any penalties.
    Yes

    Bernard Peek, Jan 3, 2010
  10. Swarfmaker

    Cameo Guest

    I'm sorry. When I replied I forgot to remove the UK ng someone else
    added earlier.

    Cameo, Jan 4, 2010
  11. Swarfmaker

    Rob Morley Guest

    As it was the OP who posted to a UK group in the first place it might
    have been better to start a new thread.

    Rob Morley, Jan 4, 2010
  12. Swarfmaker

    Cameo Guest

    Well, I just found this short white paper about this subject and it
    states that the newer HomePlug AV 200 devices do work across phases.
    What do you think?

    <http://www.atheros.com/pt/plc/downloads/whitepaper_PLCCrossphase.pdf>

    Cameo, Jan 6, 2010
  13. Swarfmaker

    Cameo Guest

    It convinced me to give it a try at the local Frys store that carried
    the Trendnet TPL-302E PowerPlug AV model for $50 a piece. It's the
    lowest price I could find anywhere, including online. So I bought a pair
    and they work across phases just fine in my entire house. It doesn't
    give you anything close to the nominal 200 bps, but it's better than my
    wireless speed. I needed it to link an older IP security camera that
    only had "b" standard WiFi with the rather unsecure WEP encryption. Now
    at least I don't have to worry about neighborhood kids hacking into my
    network through it.

    Cameo, Jan 7, 2010
  14. That paper only discusses working across the two phases of split single
    phase 110/220V domestic systems in North America, where the split phases
    are brought into the same indoor circuit breaker panels and where parallel
    house wiring to the 220V appliances, such as hot water heaters, kitchen
    stoves and laundry driers, will provide the necessary coupling. See the
    comment in Section 2 about Regional Differences.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 11, 2010
  15. Swarfmaker

    Cameo Guest

    That's OK, because the OP lives in the US, so it works for him.

    Cameo, Jan 11, 2010