Homeplug Networking

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Jeff Gaines, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    X-Posted to uk.comp.home-networking and uk.people.silversurfers (where I
    know some people use Homeplug)

    I am thinking of installing Homeplug networking to overcome some
    interference issues with my WAP, and to try and get some streaming radio
    (not video) in parts of the house that other beers won't reach.

    There seem to be at least a couple of standards, Homeplug and Opera
    (Devolo use this on their newer, faster devices). Are there any advantages
    to one or the other?

    I.m not sure whether to get a couple of Homeplug devices and plug a WAP
    into one of them or get a Homeplug wireless device and a standard Homeplug
    device. Any advantages/disadvantages anybody can think of?

    There seem to be a lot of manufacturers, some devices seem to run hot and
    some seem to be too big to plug in a standard socket properly from the
    reviews I've seen. Any manufacturers to favour/avoid? There's a big
    variation in price between Maplin and Devolo.

    Many thanks.

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 1, 2008

  2. Jeff Gaines

    Len Cuff Guest

    Jeff,
    I have tried both the 85Mb and the 200Mb Develo's. Both seem
    to do the job fine, obviously the 200 are faster but for normal use,
    including video streaming, the 85Mb ones to the job just fine.

    cheers,
    Len

    Len Cuff, Jan 2, 2008

  3. Jeff Gaines

    Jon Guest

    I use solwise (.co.uk) 85mpbs and they are effing brilliant. I have a
    WAP plugged into one in my upstairs and the other one hanging off my
    router. Never had any issue.

    Jon, Jan 2, 2008
  4. snip
    I too use the Solwise plugs. Started with two, and now the whole house
    is networked with them. They never miss a beat, they always work.
    Solwise prices are very good, and their service is second to none (and
    you can talk to a real person if you need to!) I really don't know why
    everyone isn't using them!

    Mike the unimaginative, Jan 5, 2008
  5. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 05/01/2008 in message <> Mike the
    unimaginative wrote:

    Many thanks for the input :)

    I went with Devolo because they were easier for me to get hold of, very
    impressed, worked out of the box!

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 5, 2008
  6. Jeff Gaines

    JohnW Guest

    Mike the unimaginative, in article
    Because they stopped supporting my original SAR715 router?
    It's still working on another site but I felt uncomfortable
    using it, so at least I'll look at their offerings before I
    place a network installation order :)

    JohnW, Jan 6, 2008
  7. I am using several Netgear HDX101 units now. They work great and feed a
    wired connection throughout the house.

    Prior to these I used some Netgear WiFi access points that were fed
    through the power circuit. I did not find these as reliable or as
    flexible. The HDX101 proved to be far better.

    Don C

    Donald Campbell, Jan 6, 2008