    Skarv Guest

    Will a home made pal dvd play on an ordinary dvd-player in USA?

    Will the pal dvd play on a computer in USA?

    Skarv, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Skarv

    P Pron Guest

    Skarv wrote:
    || Will a home made pal dvd play on an ordinary dvd-player in USA?
    || Will the pal dvd play on a computer in USA?

    The answer to the first question is that it will often depend on whether the
    person has made an effort to get a multi-standard TV. AIUI most TVs on the
    US market cannot cope with PAL. Multi-region players and multi-standard TVs
    are certainly available, but most people simply don't bother to seek them
    out as there is no economic advantage in importing DVDs, and the size of the
    US DVD market means that there are relatively few discs that Americans would
    _have_ to import, as the only way of seeing those titles.

    But there's no reason why a region-free PAL DVD shouldn't play perfectly
    well in a computer anywhere in the world - and http://www.dvd43.com/ will
    help with the majority of region-encoded discs.

    paul

    P Pron, Nov 19, 2005

  3. Skarv

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Skarv () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    Probably not, at least for most players.
    Yes, it should work fine.

    --
    Jeff Rife | Al Gore: To my left, you'll recognize

    Jeff Rife, Nov 19, 2005
  4. A multi-standard TV is just about unheard of in the US. However, every DVD
    player I have owned has been able to convert PAL to NTSC. Of course, I made
    sure my DVD players had that capability, but these were all inexpensive
    players, readily available from mass merchandisers. Naturally, there is no
    guarantee that any given person will have a player with similar
    capabilities.

    Kimba W. Lion, Nov 20, 2005