home wired networking issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aawshads, Apr 16, 2009.

1. aawshads

aawshads

I am working on wiring the whole house with a t100 base system. There is unterminated cat5e run from each room in the house to a utility box we'll call room (Z). My internet connection (DSL) is in my office (X). I wired the jack in room (X) in wire configuration 568A. I terminated the same wire in (Z) as a RJ45 in wire configuration 568A.

I ran a patch cable from my DSL router in (X) to the jack.

I plug the cable in (Z) into my laptop and access the internet as a test. 5 mbs throughput. YEA! or so I thought.

I purchase a Linksys 8 port switch and plug it in (Z) and power it on. I plug a known good patch cable into the switch and run it to my laptop. I cannot get connectivity.

I tested the switch by taking everything to room (X) like this-- DSL router---Patch cable---Linksys switch---Patch Cable---Laptop. Internet runs great.

Why can I not get internet from (Z) using the switch? The only thing I noticed was that my patch cables are all in 568B configuration, but that should not matter in a switch right? Thanks for any light to shed

aawshads, Apr 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question