Home network wiring...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zephed666, Sep 12, 2012.

1. zephed666

zephed666

Hello:

I plan on running cat6 cable through my walls to my router located in my living room. I am only running 3 lines so I do not need a patch panel and can just use a 4 port surface mount box by the router. I just want to make sure what I am doing is correct and if anyone foresees any problems with the layout. I will be using cat 6 solid UTP wire to run in the walls and connect to the 3 keystone wall plates. These lines will terminate at the surface mount 4 port box by the router. I will buy 1 foot patch cords to attach the router to the surface mount ports. I will alos be buying patch cords for the other side connections.

So my mian concerns are:
    1-Should I be using the solid UTP wire in the walls?
    2-Is it better to use self crimping keystones or should I buy the crimping tool? I only need to setup 6 keystone jacks.
    3-Should I test the keystone jacks before I plug any device in with a tester? Is this necessary?

thanks for any suggestions and help!

zephed666, Sep 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question