    Many Thanks,

    Jack Barrett
    http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

    Jack Barrett, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Jack Barrett

    Trent© Guest

    Do it exactly the same way you did the current machine.

    But I'd suggest spending the $20 or so and buying a router. MUCH
    easier.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Although one can use a vulnerable MS O/S as a gateway device as some have
    a good reason to do so, I can't think of one from a home user stand
    point, one should think about using a NAT router with or without SPI. One
    can use a MS O/S machine as a gateway, but that would involve setting the
    machine up as a Bastion Host machine.

    One cannot beat the protection that a gateway router provides for the
    network. I had a lady tell me today she was able to get a Belkin 4 port
    route with SPI on sale for $20 -- normal price $60.

    The router stops the attacks up front and they never reach the machine
    where the machine's O/S and host based FW would have to use resources to
    stop the attacks, slowing the machine down in doing other things.

    One can use a host bsed FW to backup the router and to protect on
    outbound protection from a Trojan.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 2, 2003
  4. Disable Internet Connection Sharing on the old gateway computer and
    disconnect the DSL modem from it. Connect the DSL modem to the new
    PC and Enable Internet Connection Sharing on it. Reboot the other
    computers to get them connected to the new gateway.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Nov 2, 2003
  5. Jack Barrett

    Dave Guest

    A GREAT router/firewall is a Linksys BEFSX41

    Dave, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Nov 4, 2003
  7. Jack Barrett

    Night_Seer Guest

    Linksys makes excellent routers. Combine that with a software firewall,
    and you should be fully protected.

    Night_Seer, Nov 4, 2003
  8. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I didn't say that Linksys didn't make a good port forwarder NAT router.
    It just doesn't have a FW. And that's why one needs a host based FW on
    the machine to protect the machine on inbound ports that have been port
    forwarded, because a simple NAT router with or without SPI cannot protect
    on the inbound ports, like an appliance that has a true FW.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 5, 2003
  9. Jack Barrett

    Night_Seer Guest

    Yes, I know what you were saying, that is why I suggested ALSO using a
    software firewall. Outbound calls, like something from a trojan are
    also not protected.

    Night_Seer, Nov 5, 2003