    3. Anything else?

    Thanks,
    dave

    dave, Mar 27, 2011

  2. dave

    Char Jackson Guest

    If you're willing to do some reading, there's lots of info available
    at <http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/> and I also suggest browsing their
    forums at <http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php>.

    My personal choice of hardware suits my own needs well, but may not
    meet your needs, so it's best to make your own informed decision.

    Char Jackson, Mar 27, 2011

  3. dave

    jch Guest

    Most home routers have 4 ports not 8. I'd suggest getting a 4-port home
    wireless router and an additional 4-port switch. That will give you enough
    open ports to allow connection for the 6 devices you named.

    Which wireless rotuer features (a,b,g,n) will depend on the equipment you're
    trying to connect. Will the Brother printer be connected wirelessly? What
    wireless interface does it have? Same question for the wireless computers.
    What wireless interface do they have? You'll want a wireless router that
    will be compatible.

    It doesn't matter about the varied operating systems. Once properly
    configured, all the devices will connect properly.

    jch, Apr 2, 2011