    Paul.Watkins Guest

    I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    from the internet.

    Paul.Watkins, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Paul.Watkins

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You put the machines behind a NAT router. It's as simple as that.

    You secure the Share with using the Authenticated User Group on shares. If
    XP Home, you can disable Simple File Sharing in Safe Mode so can get to the
    Share Permissions Button, which are different permissions than folder
    permissions using the Security Tab.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Paul.Watkins

    Mara Guest

    Get behind a router, first and foremost. And make sure that *only* the machines
    you specify have permissions to connect to the others.

    "Those are General First Rules."

    Mara, Apr 5, 2006
  4. Paul.Watkins

    PC Guest

    Paul

    The 'best' way is to never connect the machine with the shared drives to the
    Internet.

    Other than that there is a wide range of measures you could take.
    Some measures may have little effect on their own, but in combination with
    other measures your shared folders can be protected reasonably well.

    A selection of possibilities are:

    Passwords on shared folders.
    Software and or Hardware Firewalls.
    Install an Internet only machine.
    Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Rootkit removers and other 'Anti' software.
    Keeping your computer fully patched with the manufacturers updates.
    Creating a DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone)
    Running a more secure Operating System.
    Using restricted rights user accounts.
    and so on.

    Try Google for ideas eg
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=Network+security+shared+drives&btnG=Search&meta=

    Precise answers will of course depend on what machinery / software you are
    using, how you connect to the Internet, how much you want to spend, and
    (most importantly) what 'your' perception of 'securing home network drive
    shares' is.

    Best luck
    Paul.

    PC, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Paul.Watkins

    Jimchip Guest

    Well, one could put a 'router' in front of the "machine with the shared
    drives" and it it might end up that that "never connect the machine with the
    shared drives to the Internet" might 'magically' turn into "the machine with
    the shared drives is connected to The Internet", safely, I add.
    [snip}
    Gee, what's the point of 'sharing', then?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You answered your own question but didn't change your 'lead in'?
    What is this?
    Give me a break...
    So that when you give bad advice you can try to 'move that way'?
    CHOKE! [coffee splash...using my shirt to finally find my screen, thank God
    I missed my keyboard on that one (well, 'you know', "one screen, "SO MANY"
    key pads...)
    Also known as something like 'user accounts'

    [snip blah blah blah]
    What is *this* crap? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Jimchip, Apr 5, 2006
  6. X-No-Archive: YES
    [] has entered into testimony

    Not sharing them.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 5, 2006
  7. Paul.Watkins

    Plato Guest

    Use a router.

    Plato, Apr 5, 2006
  8. Paul.Watkins

    Paul.Watkins Guest

    where would I set that? in the router's control panel? Would that
    mean I put the IP addresses of my networked computers in a 'trusted'
    list?

    Paul.Watkins, Apr 5, 2006
  9. Paul.Watkins

    Paul.Watkins Guest

    how should I copy files between computers?

    Paul.Watkins, Apr 5, 2006
  10. X-No-Archive: YES
    [] has entered into testimony

    SFTP. Google for OpenSSH.

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 5, 2006
  11. Paul.Watkins

    Mara Guest

    Even though my network is already pretty secure, I always check permissions on
    each folder and drive I share, and make sure that only *my machines* are listed
    as having access to those folders/drives. But then again, all my machines are
    Windows 2000 machines, with the exceptions of my dual-boot and my laptop, which
    is my only wireless connection (A security-enabled wireless network (WPA.) If
    you're running XP, open Help and do a search for "permissions" for more local
    info.

    Mara, Apr 6, 2006
  12. Paul.Watkins

    jeff Guest

    i can't find where to set passwords on shares, i've googled and not
    come up with anything useful

    jeff, Apr 6, 2006
  13. Paul.Watkins

    Dan Evans Guest