    first time given to a non-human, a computer.

    also: Falklands War, We got rid of Canada & The Commodore 64 was
    released.

    LoopBack, Jul 4, 2006

  2. -=D@n=-

    BD Guest

    That's some histroy right there....lol...the Commodore 64....I had the
    precursor...the Commodore Vic 20...what a fun little 'basic' programming tool
    that was.

    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    MCNGP #51

    BD, Jul 4, 2006

  3. -=D@n=-

    Neil Guest

    um, yeah, uh, we, like, ditched you (repatriated the constitution). You
    know, all of you British people. But if you want to tell everyone that you
    broke up with us because it makes you feel better, ok, go ahead...

    Neil, Jul 4, 2006
  4. -=D@n=-

    Neil Guest

    YOU LIE!

    Neil, Jul 4, 2006
  5. -=D@n=-

    BD Guest

    eh...really just tried to recall mammories of a wasted youth.

    BD, Jul 5, 2006
  6. -=D@n=-

    Frisbee® Guest

    He is quite correct.

    I wrote probably my nicest version of Mastermind on that particular
    computer.

    I believe it had a 22-column screen. I couldn't even port over TRS-80
    programs because it had a 40-column screen.

    Frisbee®, Jul 5, 2006
  7. -=D@n=-

    kpg Guest

    As JaR once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    Sputnik - 1957! And you were old enough to remember going out
    to look for it!

    kp "Things that make you go...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP" g

    kpg, Jul 5, 2006
  8. -=D@n=-

    kpg Guest

    As LRM once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

    Watched the lunar landing with my Grandpa on a little B&W set when
    I was 10. I was staying with him for the weekend. He found it
    interesting becasue he was born in 1898, so he was 13 or so when
    the Wright brother's first flew, and he got to see men on the moon.

    Cool.

    kpg, Jul 5, 2006
  9. -=D@n=-

    kpg Guest

    As Neil once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

    Star Trek!

    kpg, Jul 5, 2006
  10. -=D@n=-

    Jtyc Guest

    um, yeah, uh, we, like, ditched you (repatriated the constitution). You
    Oh sure, when we wanted out they sent the whole army to deal with us. When
    you want out, they say "Fine, we don't want you anyway".

    Jtyc, Jul 5, 2006
  11. -=D@n=-

    JaR Guest

    *damb pacemaker*

    JaR, Jul 5, 2006
  12. -=D@n=-

    LRM Guest

    Not to mention he was around before TV black and white or otherwise. Very
    cool all the way around.

    LRM, Jul 5, 2006
  13. -=D@n=-

    Neil Guest

    and did it take a mere 30 minutes to load from tape? or did you blow the
    family fortune on a floppy?

    Neil, Jul 5, 2006
  14. -=D@n=-

    Neil Guest

    that's because they took us seriously....now you guys - how would take you
    seriously? I mean Seriously!

    Neil, Jul 5, 2006
  15. -=D@n=-

    kpg Guest

    As Neil once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    Back in the day 30 minutes was fast.

    Know how long it would take you to retype it from the printout?

    kp "300 baud - wow!" g

    kpg, Jul 5, 2006
  16. -=D@n=-

    Jtyc Guest

    that's because they took us seriously....now you guys - how would take you
    Ah... must have been afraid of the mighty Canukian military.

    Probably afraid of being crushed by the stampede of soldiers running away at
    the first sign of trouble.

    Jtyc, Jul 5, 2006
  17. -=D@n=-

    Frisbee® Guest

    I didn't take out a second mortgage for a floppy (and a printer) until I got
    my C-64.

    Frisbee®, Jul 6, 2006
  18. -=D@n=-

    Frisbee® Guest

    Remember those early modems where you actually placed the phone handset ON
    the modem itself? State of the art, baby!

    I paid $100 for my first 1200 baud modem. Cermetek was the brand. Hayes
    modems were going for like $500 at the time. Some guy came to our user's
    group meeting and had two computers side-by-side, one with a 300 baud modem
    and the other with their 1200 baud. The difference was obvious. Problem
    was, since it was not a Hayes modem, you had to figure out the command set
    and program your comm program manually, but it worked. At the time, there
    must have been hundreds of local BBS's in Silicon Valley. It was almost
    like a mini-interneil.

    We had some real eggheads in our user's group, too. Several of the PhD's
    had gotten together and made one IBM PC plug-in board with four modems on
    one card. I think it was the first true multi-line BBS in Silicon Valley.

    Frisbee®, Jul 6, 2006
  19. -=D@n=-

    MitchS Guest

    Obviously not your border patrol.