    curves in PS a bit and cropped it minimally, and sized it for the web.

    http://www.kriho.com/phenom/cloud_hole.jpg

    AFAIK it's not really known what causes these types of formations.

    Nervous Nick, Feb 11, 2010

  2. Nervous Nick

    NameHere Guest

    They can be caused by any minor updraft that is drier than the air layer in
    which the alto-cumulous clouds formed. Forming a pocket of air too dry to
    condense into clouds. Even a small elevation rise of the ground of that
    same diameter might be enough to push a lower layer of drier air into the
    moister higher layer as it passes underneath it in a slow laminar flow.
    Check any topographic maps to see if the land rises beneath the clouds
    where you photographed that formation.

    When the opposite effect happens it's called a "lenticular cloud".
    Lenticular = lens-shaped. A bump/bubble of warmer more moist layer of air
    rises up into a colder layer and condenses into crisply defined dense
    circular shapes, relatively smaller in diameter than most other clouds in
    the area. The origin of many a UFO report. Some of them are quite
    astounding looking, having several stacked disks of varying graduated
    sizes. Especially interesting looking when lit by a setting or rising sun,
    the times of day when they are more commonly seen, when prevailing winds
    tend to die down enough to allow them to form. (Also the reason hot-air
    balloon launches are generally scheduled for those times of day.)
    Lenticular clouds are also more common over mountainous and hilly terrain
    where the slow laminar air-flows can be pushed up into colder air layers
    directly above the higher areas of land.

    Over the years I have a photographed a collection of lenticular clouds
    myself. One of my more favorite photos is of about 5 stacked and
    graduated-in-size disks. Taken around noon while I was out in a large open
    area of water in the 10,000 Islands area of the Everglades while kayaking.
    I was surprised to see one that intricately formed at that time of day and
    especially over such flat land and waters. The other surprising thing was
    there were very few other clouds in the sky and all very distant. I've
    never seen one like it before nor since. If something like that had formed
    over any populated area then people calling into news-centers to report a
    giant UFO invasion would have been guaranteed.

    NameHere, Feb 11, 2010

  3. Nervous Nick

    Nervous Nick Guest

    Wow, thanks for the info. Any links to your photos? I'd esp. like to
    see the stacked lenticulars.

    Nervous Nick, Feb 11, 2010
  4. Nervous Nick

    NameHere Guest

    Nope. Sorry, but my photography is not for public net-consumption these
    days. Only on rare occasions will I post a photo now, to make some troll
    look like a fool. But that's all. I took down all my photography sites
    years ago. I found that posting my photography to the net is mainly just
    wasting my talents on people who don't deserve to benefit from them. To
    hold those responsible in this immediate venue for this decision you can
    thank all the resident-trolls in this newsgroup for not getting to see them
    today. Maybe they can tell you they're sorry. (Which they most definitely
    are.....sorry excuses for humans.)

    On the upside, you can use Google and type in: "lenticular cloud" OR
    "lenticular clouds" -- just as typed, including the quotes and the OR in
    caps. There are many somewhat interesting images of them on the net.

    NameHere, Feb 11, 2010
  5. Nervous Nick

    Bruce Guest

    Looks like it could be Artex. ;-)

    Bruce, Feb 11, 2010
  6. Nervous Nick

    DanP Guest

    DanP, Feb 11, 2010
  7. Nervous Nick

    MadHatter Guest

    MadHatter, Feb 11, 2010
  8. Nervous Nick

    BD Guest

    Mm. And so - you sit there, day after day, masturbating in your own
    feces, and trolling newsgroups. That's a great success story.

    BD, Feb 11, 2010
  9. Nervous Nick

    Twibil Guest

    Oh heck, I'm sure we can *all* name scads of successful people who
    choose to spend their time trolling Newgroups in a lame effort to
    convince someone, heck, *any*one, of their supposed "skills and
    talents".

    Let's all join in now and list their names, shall
    we?........................ (insert sounds of crickets and wind
    blowing across trackless desert
    sands).................................hullo?.........................anyone
    there?....................................

    Twibil, Feb 12, 2010
  10. Nervous Nick

    BD Guest

    Ah yes... I don't *need* an excuse because I'm not trying to hang my
    (poo-covered) genitals out for all to see like you are, and insisting
    on adulation.

    I could comment on the rest of your prepubescent bile, but if I do I
    might as well tattoo the word 'trollbait' on my forehead. I'll pass.

    BD, Feb 12, 2010
  11. Nervous Nick

    Chrlz Guest

    Offtopic, just responding to the troll in kind.

    For anyone new to 'NameHere', he is/was also known as:
    Keoeeit
    LOL!
    Better Info
    Outing Trolls
    The Anti-DSLR troll
    Vern
    Dave Ingols
    MartinS
    Casiobear
    Baumbadier
    X-Man

    Ah, the memories. It is easy to verify all this with a few simple
    searches, and he literally uses hundreds of other names, in an
    unsuccessful attempt to feign support.

    Here's a picture of him:
    http://www.eotacforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=24769&p=300369#p300369

    Kiss your mother with that mouth, Keoeeit/Namehere?

    And here's a direct quote from Keoeeit/Namehere that should make all
    of us realise we are speaking to a higher being:
    (cached link available on request)
    ========== Quoting Keoeeit, February 2006
    - I was smarter and more creative than nearly every adult around me by
    the age of 6.
    - I was able to solve others' problems due to my insight and
    creativity.
    ....others became frightened of my ability to easily read them and see
    right through their banal lives and lies.
    ....I didn't find any value in the things most all others declared had
    value.
    ....they made me go to catechism classes at the age of 7 and I wondered
    how adults could believe such nonsense.
    ....I continually asked questions that they couldn't answer from their
    "book", so they just started to pretend I didn't exist. Continuing on
    in their mental exile of self-induced ignorance.
    ....when asked to debate things in school I'd often be the only one in
    class to take a stand on an issue that was in complete opposite to the
    rest of the class, and they were unable to refute my opinions.
    =========== endquote

    Any questions? Do you remember that, Keoeeit? Like I said, I can
    post the cached link. It's quite easy to find.
    It is hardly surprising that a person like this finds his last refuge
    here, after being banned from many, many forums and even disowned by
    the CHDK developers. He can, here, pretend to be a famous
    photographer, scientist, meteorologist, explorer, etc, etc and I guess
    the attention, even though universally negative, relieves what must be
    a very lonely life, seated pretty much permanently at the keyboard, it
    would appear.

    Highlights of his "photography" (term used advisedly) can be found by
    searching on the words "definitive keoeeit gallery".

    Chrlz, Feb 12, 2010
  12. Nervous Nick

    LOL! Guest

    LOL!, Feb 12, 2010
  13. << Snipped bits out >>

    Why are you posting about long ago crap?

    John McWilliams, Jul 1, 2010