    (at least 300mm at the tele end in 35mm equivalence) is best in terms of
    image quality ? I was thinking of using one in the tropical rainforest,
    where illumination conditions are not always perfect.

    Alfred Molon, Jul 19, 2004

  2. I would look at the Nikon Coolpix 5700 or 8700 for that sort of job. I
    believe that the sensor and lens are very well matched resulting in
    excellent image quality. Its maximum zoom is 280mm.

    If you need more zoom, and image stabilisation because of low light
    conditions, then Panasonic FZ10, Canon S1 IS or Minolta Z3 might be worth
    a look.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 19, 2004

  3. You may need to consider humidity as the major factor and powering the
    device and the next most important.

    The first will probably be handled quite well with a waterproof surround
    provided it does not steam up on the inside particularly in front of the
    lens.

    IMHO go for AA powered kit as a universal spec for all battery powered kit
    unless you have quite a bulky weight limit.

    An alternative way to plan is to decide your weight limit first and chuch
    out kit until you meet the weight limit.

    have phun!

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Alfred Molon

    Sabineellen Guest

    I second this suggestion. AA all the way.

    Sabineellen, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Alfred Molon

    Kimberlee Guest

    I'm not familiar with Nikon, but the Canon S1 IS is an awesome camera.
    I am very impressed with the quality, and you can't beat Canon optics.
    I wouldn't go with the Dimage line, unless they've improved the digital
    zoom.
    Canon is the first digital zoom that's actually usable.
    ~Kimberlee

    Kimberlee, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    What about noise levels and chromatic aberrations ? Are there reviews of
    this camera ?

    Alfred Molon, Jul 20, 2004
  7. It is also a rather small number of megapixels.
    Well, that's your view! Both Nikon and Canon make excellent optics, and
    Leica has a good reputation.
    What makes you say that about Canon's digital zoom?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 20, 2004
  8. I don't know if I'd be too happy taking unprotected electronic kit into a
    tropical rain forest

    Maybe this is one for mechanical cameras without electronics

    Reason is: electronics, humidity, precipitation, wet damp & clammy
    conditions can work together but it takes protection of some form

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 20, 2004
  9. I was going to say ...

    He may not be very happy with any digital camera in 100%+
    humidity, or with any electronic camera for that matter.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 20, 2004
  10. Hans-Georg> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:35:21 GMT, "Arte Phacting"

    Hans-Georg> I was going to say ...

    Hans-Georg> He may not be very happy with any digital camera in 100%+
    Hans-Georg> humidity, or with any electronic camera for that matter.

    Hans-Georg> Hans-Georg

    Get a waterproof case. Canon has these cases for some of their models.

    I wonder what folks did in the good old days in the rain forest with
    35mm cameras?

    Good luck

    Post Replies Here Please, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Whatever you do I wouldn't recommend a DSLR - not unless they have good
    water, humidity protection. Is there any DSLR that can be used in a modest
    downpour?

    Artie

    ps - it doesn't really matter what u take in to a tropical rainforest - if
    it can rot it will rot if it can't rot it'll feed mould, fungus and mildew

    but you can still have fun and a good old time :)

    pps - set the weight limit first IMHO ditch the non-essentials

    Arte Phacting, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Alfred Molon

    nellybly Guest

    nellybly, Jul 20, 2004
  13. Alfred,

    the chroma errors are the big minus of this camera. Apart from
    those color seams at max tele zoom and the lack of low light
    capability the camera is apparently very good.

    It shares the low light weakness with the Panasonic Lumix
    DMC-FZx series of cameras, but those have a near-perfect Leica
    lens with a 12x zoom factor. That's their main strength.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 20, 2004
  14. Doesn't help much, in my experience. Water condenses inside the
    camera when you use it, and shorts the electronics. Camera comes
    back to life when taken to a drier clime.
    Mechanical? Shoot away happily. Electronical? Same problem.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 20, 2004
  15. Alfred Molon

    Kimberlee Guest

    Please read on:

    Yes; disappointing, but functional and affordable (for me).
    I would think the OP would take it as my view.
    Yep, although I'm speaking from my own personal experience.
    I have no experience with Leica.
    It works. I can use the digital zoom. I couldn't with the Dimage; it was
    useless.
    With the S1, I can zoom in with optical, then enhance the zoom with digital,
    and actually get functional, good quality pics.
    ~Kimberlee

    Kimberlee, Jul 20, 2004
  16. Alfred Molon

    Kimberlee Guest

    Kimberlee, Jul 20, 2004
  17. Kimberlee wrote:
    []
    Thanks for that Kimberlee, I haven't used the Dimage either, so why it
    didn't work for you I don't know. With my Nikon 990 & 5700 the digital
    zoom works just as expected, although I would only use it at 2:1 digital
    zoom. You then get a full resolution image interpolated in the camera
    from the centre quarter area.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 20, 2004
  18. Alfred Molon

    Big Bill Guest

    Doesn't film react negatively to such environmental conditions?
    I think I'd rather take a new, not very expensive digital camera.
    Knowing the environment would have long-term effects, but will still
    work in the short run, is my thinking.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jul 20, 2004
  19. Alfred Molon

    Pete Guest

    I am very pleased with my Panasonic FZ10 with 4MP and 12X optical.

    You can see my detailed comparison of this camera versus the Olympus C-720
    (3MP and 8X optical) at

    http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic.htm

    HTH

    Pete, Jul 20, 2004
  20. Yup - my thoughts exactly

    Take a camera that is not going to cause emotional upheaval if it falls into
    deep water

    The troubles is with high humidity that quite a bit of moisture can form on
    the inside too lenses gubbins the lot

    I'd go for £100 - £200 (probably £80?) digital - actually this is something
    that the old Practika SLRs would deal with very nicely

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 20, 2004